Good day from Brisbane Australia

wangchuk

Hello to all and thank you for welcoming me to the "Recreational Flying" forum.

Have never flown any kind of airplane but have been dreaming all of my life to become a pilot.

Never had the time/opportunity to do it until now, been too busy raising three sons, and teaching French to Australians.

Now that I have retired perhaps there will be time & opportunity to get my PPL one day.

Having a lot to learn I welcome all advice to may wish to give me and first my question to everyone will be:

- which is the best flying school in the USA and/ or in Australia ?

Second question would be:

- is there a list of GA acronyms with their meanings somewhere ?

Thanks for having read this posting so far and for your help!

Roger

Second question would be:- is there a list of GA acronyms with their meanings somewhere ?

Roger

It's worth downloading the Visual Flight Rules Guide from the CASA website (the low-res version is fine). It has lots of useful information on a whole range of subjects. It used to be available in hardcopy, but unfortunately not any more. Have a look at page 427 for abbreviations/acronyms etc:

http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:370866083:pc=PC_90008

rgmwa

• Like 1

Living in Brisbane you don't have to go far as there are GA and RAA schools nearby at Archerfield, Redcliffe and Caboolture and others further out on the fringes. Ring around and ask which way to go, RAA is Recreational and cheaper but Maximum 2 seats and predominantly outside of controlled airspace (unless suitable medicals and endorsements). GA bigger planes, more seats optional, more money and stricter medicals. All the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks that's great.

I also found the online acronyms guide at CASA:

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:PWA::pc=PC_93235

Will probably use it a lot.

In the meantime I downloaded as suggested the VFR Rules guide low res as well as the Day (VFR) syllabus aéroplanes (to know what i am getting into ... :-))

I believe RAA will probably what I will first be looking at

Enjoy the rainy week end !

Roger