Emergency landing at Moorabbin (Video)

A Piper Chieftain made an emergency landing at Moorabbin with the nose wheel stuck at right angles to the direction of travel, similar to the DC9 incident in the US a few years ago. The link below contains a news chopper video of the landing.The pilot said that, after completing some paperwork, he would be back in the air later in the day.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/25532602/pilot-makes-emergency-landing/

• Informative 1

Great footage and a fantastic outcome...thanks for posting this. The pilot did an awesome job and a nice foam blanket laid down on the tarmac arrested any sparks. I'm just happy to see a media outlet showing a positive aviation story!

• Agree 4

AJS71,

You would have not been so supportive of the media if you saw the 4.30 news on Channel 7 Sydney. After showing the landing from a few angles, they crossed to a reporter outside the airport who then summed up the event by saying

"Investigations are underway to find out why the nose leg on this "Single" engine plane failed.

I was thinking I should offer the suggestion that maybe it had something to do with someone adding another engine on the plane.

When it returned to the main program, poor old Mel (The newsreader) had this dumbfounded look on her face.

Then on the 6.00 news, they cut short the reporters story, before he reached the clanger.