operators manual

Vorticity

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulmckeown

Hi Vorticity,

To my knowledge, the first operation's manual prepared for the drifter was during the re-certification process circa 1996 (that would be the one you have), and was for the 101-55 aircraft. If Dalby have a 'wire braced' manual then that's likely to be the best one for you - otherwise, like many older GA aircraft that were introduced without flight manuals, there is a requirement to follow the cockpit placards.

Cheers

Paul

Drifter Operators Manual.

Hi Vorticity,

I have an "Austflight Aviation PTY LTD" original Drifter Operators Manual for a wire braced AC of that period,I still have that Drifter.

This manual is for A-532/582 however I started off with a 503 and was given this manual by Austflight.I then went on to use a furthur 4, 582 motors on the Drifter.

If you think this manual is of any use to you,get back to me and I`ll do something for you.

Regards.

farri. ;)

Manual

Thanks Farri,

That could be interesting. They have a manual on the dalby drifter factory website but I noticed a few differences. The main thing was a 50kg lower MTOW then my aircraft and no reference to the second fuel tank that is shown in the aircraft configuration drawings.

I took mine out for a fly for the first time on sunday. Aside from the rather bumpy air it went well and all the speeds listed in the manual felt good. It handles a little different to the 582 I learnt in, the most noticable being in the glide. I really had to push the nose forward to get 50kts but once I got it the drifter just kept flying and refused to come down!

So I guess what I am asking is does your copy have the MTOW as 450kg and a reference to the second fuel tank?

RE Operators Manual.

Vorticity,

The short answer is no,my manual has MTOW. of 420kg, however this figure was later changed,without changes to the AC.

After many years of flying and teaching in a Drifter I`ve found 50 kts,as an aproach speed to be a pretty good all round figure assuming your ASI is correct

however don`t forget to adjust this figure to the conditions at the time and the weight of the AC.

A good yard stick as an approach speed is," Stall speed + 50% +1/3 of the wind speed", this should always keep you out of trouble,don`t forget 50kts is not your best glide speed and therefore will not take you the furthurest,best glide should be about 43 kts. try it and find out.In the event of an engine failure,of which I have had many,alwways use your best glide speed to stay in the air the longest,it gives you more time to think.

The Most important thing to do is to stall the AC with and without power and see what the ASI is reading,it is only the figure being indicated that is important, not the book figure,if you haven`t done this yet it is vital to do so as soon as possible,if you carry a passenger this must be done with your passenger also.

If I have helped you,feel free to contact me on any issue at any time.

Cheers and all the best.

farri.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 5 years later...
Drifter Operators Manual.Hi Vorticity,

I have an "Austflight Aviation PTY LTD" original Drifter Operators Manual for a wire braced AC of that period,I still have that Drifter.

This manual is for A-532/582 however I started off with a 503 and was given this manual by Austflight.I then went on to use a furthur 4, 582 motors on the Drifter.

If you think this manual is of any use to you,get back to me and I`ll do something for you.

Regards.

farri. ;)

Hello Farri

I am actually looking for an A-532/582 if you can help, either digital or paper.

Regards, Stewart, Email [email protected]

G`Day Stewart,I photocopied my original manual and created a PDF. Emailed it to you at the address you`ve given but it came back. Couldn`t be delivered to that address. You`ll need to get back to me.

Cheers,

Frank.