rotax 912 battery charging troubles

karlhaagsma

Hello All,

Currently trying to get through last 10% of build process. Zenith CH 701 with rotax 912 uls and Dynon Flightdek 180. Having problems which transpired at last runup. Electricals seem to be running well static. On battery with master on have incremental amps draw on dynon as well as what I think may be good voltage indication (on fully charged battery). Engine starts and runs fine. However, with engine running there is no appreciable amp draw (indicated) from accessories, unless I turn everything on, which in theory should draw about 12 amps, but maybe only indicates 3 amps tops, and then it is quite variable (mostly 0 amps). Also, it appears that there is no battery charging going on, as while engine is running with no accesories the voltage seems quite stable at about 13.9, but with accesories on it drops significantly to approx 12.1, and when back in static mode the voltage has dropped to same. Anyone have any ideas? May this be a voltage regulator problem? Please help. I have spent 6 years building this machine and now I am stymied in the final furlong. Best Regards, Karl Haagsma.

Sounds like the regulator/rectifier may be playing up because it should handle about 22amps max.

Check out this link which I hope helps you, and also check the smoothing capacitor because that could stuff the regulator if it's leaky and starts to break down internally

http://pointsforpilots.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/testing-rotax-912914-generator-and.html