RAA Newsletter May 20th CTA Avoidance

Birdseye

I'd like to encourage anyone flying near CTA to actually read the AIP section referenced in the RAA newsletter and not rely on this statement.

Quote:

" Amendment to AIP

Members are advised of a recent amendment to the AIP (5 March 2015) relating to avoidance of controlled airspace (CTA). The previous reference required a physical distance of separation relative to the height of the CTA steps. The change now requires pilots to alter track to remain well clear, meaning not skirting the edge based on flight planning software or GPS track information. Pilots should always reference their avoidance of CTA to known and easily identified geographical features.

For those members wishing to read the specific reference, it can be found at this link. http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/aip/enroute.pdf and the reference is ENR 1.1-41 para 19.12"

The actual wording is quite different and I have drawn this to the attention of RAA in an email. The full intent is to advise pilots that CTA operations can be up to the boundary of CTA. If there is any doubt that you can remain clear, then you should contact ATC. There is no reference in the AIP to flight planning software or GPS per se. What it does say is to ensure that you remain clear by reference to known landmarks.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 3

Guest Andys@coffs
I concur Birdseye. I think they will just confuse pilots by this. Don't say that it is in AIP but rather it is suggested that...

I don't agree, RAAus is a self administering not self regulating , and therefore its pretty important IMHO to point people back to the base legislation that those responsible for regulating have established because RAAus does not set any form of legislation in it own right.

In my opinion I have seen too many examples of RAAus pilots who are of the belief that if they follow the Ops and Tech manual then that is all they need do...a reminder that, as has always been the case, that the vast majority of the aviation legislation does apply to them, and they must be across changes and understand it (and yeah yeah I understand that is like saying everyone must understand how fusion works....great in theory nearly impossible in practise)

Its why when people tell me they don't have access to a computer or internet access I really wonder how they meet their total obligations to participate in flying.....

Andy

I don't agree, RAAus is a self administering not self regulating , and therefore its pretty important IMHO to point people back to the base legislation that those responsible for regulating have established because RAAus does not set any form of legislation in it own right. Andy

All the more reason to state the (correct) facts when reporting and not paraphrase or modify.

After reading the reference, I don't understand what they are on about, if anything the rules are more relaxed in that all you need to do is remain clear of controlled airspace, nothing (in AIP) prevents skirting the boundary.

• Agree 1