Airbag safety and Aircraft

Following a discussion in another thread we started to discuss the use of airbags in aircraft as a crash safety device.

I will make a few posts of the related bits and then add the web research I have done.

This will also include not just airbags but also helmets.

Phil

So what activates the neck air bag GG?

To which I replied to David and commented to GG

You might be onto something there Gnarly Gnu. But a helmet would be better and the above wig provides no protection to the face. A motorcycle airbag jacket which protects the chest and neck combined with a helmet with face shield would possibly be the best.

The airbag jackets are generally set off by a g load sensor- a sudden high g load say 10g. Not sure of actual specs- would depend on actual model and use

Cockpit airbags anyone?

Now you are talking Litespeed. What you say makes total sense. I didn't know such protection was available it would be excellent for crash protection in otherwise flimsy structures such as ultralights and motorcycles where you have virtually no crash protection.

I am glad you asked, this is something that has been discussed on the 'Homebuiltairplanes.com" forums. The idea has merits but due to the fact in some cases a crash can involve multiple g loading spikes and the need to maintain control in a bad landing situation to avoid further obstacles- it was not really popular as a idea. Myself I am still open to the idea. The consensus was best practice is a really strong primary cabin structure and a properly designed seat to absorb high G loads being transferred up the spine. But that comes down to safety by design and thus generally only for new designs. A further complication is airbag design and placement is a science in itself and was considered in the too hard/expensive basket.

Myself I am not convinced it is a bad idea, and could be done well and greatly improve crash survivability to a point. No impact with cumulus granite head-on at speed is generally survivable. However many a crash might be more survivable with good design and airbag placement.

The use of emerging motorbike airbag tech could be the key for existing aircraft and a good helmet with face protection.

BMW, Ducati and Dainese are all developing them and have some on the market now. Naturally you would have to wear a bike jacket or similarly equipped jacket- but it will keep you warm and has the bonus of fairly comfortable body armour, which can save broken bones and bruising in crashes as well.

I will do some research and get back to you on whats available and cost.

As this is related more generally to safety I will post in a new discussion my research

Phil

Here is one by Bering cost unknown

This shows how fast they inflate seems fast enough, this is not a lanyard system but appears to use a g sensor, and thus is better for our needs and a lot faster to inflate.

Then there are seat belt airbags and simple neck bags.

A issue we will have is how do we wear these jackets with a seat belt?

Not a issue with a lap belt but they a crap safety wise. Will need some thought.

makes me think of a movie once where just before/as the crash happens the whole cabin is filled with expanda foam type stuff...

But what about allowing the pilot to activate the airbag? That way at the last second if things look bad you pop the bags that effectively fill the cabin. While not fool proof it gives you one extra option. A bit like having a ballistic shute... all about increasing the odds...

The airbag systems for bike jackets can be activated via a lanyard for most models, the bag stays inflated and does not loose its air inflation until you release the pressure. They are reusable by adding another nitrogen bottle- cheap and small.

The big balloon in the last video is a concept only.

I think the original Judge Dredd movie had a high speed setting foam to encapsulate the driver in a accident.

I agree anything that can help is a good idea.