Fugawi and OziExplorer

Guest sypkens

Guest sypkens

After a browse of the lightwing website and Speed panel configuration I was wondering if somebody could give me a description of how these pieces of software (fugawi or oziexplorer) works on PDA's in combination with airservices maps?

I am also interested in the hardware required (or recommended hardware) to make this work.

In short I don't know how it works but would love to have it and am not sure how to sell it to my financial director. Any help will be appreciated.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I use OziExplorer on a HP iPaq,bluetooth GPS receiver and electronic airservices maps available through a company called Maptrax. You can use OziExplorer on both PC and mobile PC to synchronize maps / tracks / routes etc. as planning is easier on a PC then transferred to the PDA (but most features are available on the portable version).

Happy to answer any other questions or provide additional info.

Cheers,

Matt.

Guest sypkens

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the help. The maps you use I take are the same as the VTC

charts? and can you clearly see boundaries etc on this? And do you use

this while flying or purely to plan tracks?

I am also trying to figure out whether I have the space in a drifter to

have an additional piece of equipment or whether I should just have a

GPS?

Regards,

Jan

You can get the full range of airservices charts in OziExplorer format and OziExplorer can be configured to use the most appropriate scale for where you are i.e. will automatically switch from VNC to VTC when you change boundaries or VNC to WAC etc. I usemy PDA to give a 'moving map' capability primarily for airspace boundaries, terrain etc. and reduce cockpit clutter. I also use a Garmin 196 which I use primarily for actual route planning, waypoints etc.

I mount the PDA on a powered mount which attaches to the canopy via a suction cup and the Garmin is panel mounted - both are removable for upload / download at home.

Guest Guest

I used to sell Bluetooth GPS receivers for use on a PDA with FUGAWI for motor vehicle use, worked well in that environment as for charts etc in aviation use couldn't say, we looked at it but this was three yrs ago.