Converting UK licence to Australian licence.... bit of help!

I am currently partway through my NPPL in the UK with plans to upgrade it to the EASA LAPL (and possibly PPL if I have the funds/time but don't require more than LAPL)

(A few bits on the differences here https://flyerdavid.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/lapl-light-aeroplane-pilot-licence-for-nppl-pilots/ )

As I see it, the NPPL is similar to the RA-AUS and the LAPL is not too far off the RPL (apart from weights)

Has anyone on here converted from a UK/EU NPPL or LAPL?

Thanks in advance, I've only just got my head around the UK/EU licences so hope you can advise on the Aussie equivalents/converting!

P.S will hopefully be moving to WA (most likely Perth) in the next couple of years

How do I convert my overseas licence to an Australian licence?

As a general rule, to convert a foreign licence to an Australian flight crew licence you must pass a Flight Rules and Air Law written examination and a flight test, and obtain an Australian medical certificate. If you want to convert an overseas rating (eg instrument rating or instructor rating) you need to pass a flight test and either an aural examination or written examination. Examinations and flight tests can only be conducted in Australia.

Pilots holding a New Zealand CPL or ATPL can obtain an Australian licence under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Full details on converting overseas qualifications can be found at the following link to CASA’s website:

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm

There is no problem, your qualifications will be recognised by RAA. Just probably need to do a check ride, review or type conversion with a CFI and join RAA and get issued with RAA pilot certificate.

See page page 80 section 2-13 RAA operations manual.

https://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Operations-Manual-Issue-7_Single-pages-with-new-CAO-95.55-Mar-15.pdf

SECTION 2.13

RECOGNISED FLIGHT TIME AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS

For the purpose of this manual recognised flight time is:

1. For gaining a Group A Pilot Certificate and associated Endorsements,

Ratings and Approvals:

2. (a) dual and pilot in command hours gained in obtaining and maintaining a CASA aeroplane, helicopter, gyroplane, airship licence or overseas equivalents or Australian Defence Forces wings standard, overseas equivalents, a GFA Glider Rating or overseas equivalents and endorsements, ratings and approvals associated with these qualifications; and

3. (b) dual and pilot in command hours gained in obtaining a CASA Recreational Pilot Licence and former equivalent or graduation from an Australian Defence Force basic pilot’s course, whatever called; or

©verified logbook entries of training undertaken towards the attainment of a Licence or Certificate with a recognised organisation; or

[*]For gaining a Group B or C or D or F Pilot Certificate and associated Endorsements, Ratings and Approvals:

(a) all dual and pilot in command hours flown when obtaining a Pilot Certificate with another RAAO, or equivalent overseas qualification and endorsement, rating and approval associated with these qualifications for the corresponding Aeroplane Group; or

(b)verified logbook entries of training undertaken towards the attainment of a Licence or Certificate with a recognised organisation.

[*]Notwithstanding Paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Section, the Operations Manager may disallow overseas qualifications without recourse.

[*]For the purpose of this manual recognised qualifications are validated Licences, Certificates, Endorsements, Ratings and Approvals and overseas equivalents from recognised NAAs and RAAOs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There is no problem, your qualifications will be recognised by RAA. Just probably need to do a check ride, review or type conversion with a CFI and join RAA and get issued with RAA pilot certificate.

That doesn't say that the qualifications will be recognised, only the flight time.

Thanks everyone. I don't mind having to do a few extra lessons / tests as I appreciate the quality of training probably differs from country to country, at least the hours will count and allow me to speed things up in the worse case :)

It won't be a problem spooks. No more than normal. ICAO equivalent is there but not with RAAus but it is competency based. Things like Tailwheel. CS prop, Floats, Retract, Radio licence etc carry over and it counts with instructor rating too . Nev

• Like 1

RECOGNISED FLIGHT TIME AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS.

If you would actually read things instead of copying and pasting:

- the flight time is recognised

qualifications are recognised for the purposes of endorsements, but not for the basic certificate.

I Might be missing something but 1.1a recognises hours completed towards, and completed ratings/approvals. 1.2b and 1.2c recognises hours completed towards the pilot certificate if you have not yet attained that certificate/licence. Item 2 does the same for all classes other than group A and item 4 recognises the pilot certificate/licence and any endorsements once you have completed them.

It might be a bit of confusing way of saying it all but i think it is all there. Unless i am reading it all wrong?

I Might be missing something but 1.1a recognises hours completed towards, and completed ratings/approvals. 1.2b and 1.2c recognises hours completed towards the pilot certificate if you have not yet attained that certificate/licence. Item 2 does the same for all classes other than group A and item 4 recognises the pilot certificate/licence and any endorsements once you have completed them.It might be a bit of confusing way of saying it all but i think it is all there. Unless i am reading it all wrong?

You have to read 2.13 5-7. 2.13 1-4 only defines what recognised qualifications and flight time are, 5+ define how they are used in the context of awarding certificates and ratings. For example, a recognised qualification reduces the number of instructor hours in recreational aircraft.

Thanks Ada, it would appear the wrong section was quoted as that is only the definitions, but is still the case that as long as he can prove his hours they will count to his Australian PC and will only need to add onto his hours from there and pass a theory exam and flight test. It would seem from this it is not automatic a foreign pilot certificate is recognised and an Aust one issued. As RAA only recognise hours and not licences/certificates, as a minimum a flight test will be required, regardless of experience.

Show you have done the work and prove you are capable. I'm sure that sounds fair to most people.

Hi folks,

I did this 4 years ago with an NPPL(M). I wrote to the Ops manager at the time, and had it confirmed that I just needed a check flight by friendly CFI here, which I duly did, had my UK logbook signed off, and then sent in for my RPC with the medical. No GST, no exam.

Not sure if/how that would work to the RPL these days.

D