Drifter near Sydney

lprigan1

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone knows of a school that operates Drifters in the Sydney region (I currently fly out of the Oaks and am training with the Sydney Recreational Flying Club on Foxbats and Dave's Flying School on the Jabirus).

I really love the look of the Drifters - they seem to represent real back to basics flying and have the romantic appeal of those early years in aviation with open cockpits, taildragger, fabric etcetc. Also, I am considering buying an aircraft and the Drifter would be top of the list as there seem to be quite a few around below the 25k mark and from what I am told (but happy to be corrected) they are pretty cheap to operate and maintain (my workings get to me about $90 per hour on 70hrs per year).

Obviously, I don't want to just "jump" into an aircraft purchase and would want to explore whether I actually flying in (well, on really) the Drifter - I have some very mixed reviews about people's experiences.

Anyway, any tips on where I could for a flight around Sydney would be greatly appreciated as would any thoughts on the Drifter in general.