PPL Student at YBAF

aplund

I'm currently in a self-sponsored PPL program at YBAF. I started at the beginning of November 2015. I've finished the basic handling and the solo circuits and training area solo. I'm currently into the navigation part of the course.

When I told my family, friends and work colleagues that I was going to do a PPL course, the most common response was"why the hell would you do that?" And to be honest, the thought crosses my mind sometimes as well. I cannot help but think about a promise I made myself as a teenager. My family would often drive past YCAB as we lived that way and I distinctly remember being transfixed on the departing and arriving aircraft. I promised myself that I would learn to fly, and part of why I'm doing this is in an attempt to fulfil that promise.

I have always had interests in tech and engineering. Aviation has always been a part of that, though at times a very small part. Learning the details of hows and the whys has always been of interest to me.

The last part is just the shear thrill of it all. My wife doesn't understand this part at all; maybe it's a male thing, I'm not sure. Though just half way through the course, with about 22 hours up, I've had some fantastic times.

The turning point that pushed me over the edge to sign up was reading the book "Take Your Wings and Fly" by Jason Smart. This book is a journal format of his experience in obtaining a PPL in the UK. I found it a totally enthralling read and couldn't put the book (or rather, kindle) down.

I'm am aware of how fortunate I am to be able to undertake this. I'm an academic at UQ and I'm employed to do research in quantum computing. This pays well but isn't that secure as it is always under short term contracts. Though to date, I've been paid to do my research continuously for 7 years now which is pretty good. But in the background there is always the concern of not getting the next position.

I'm not pursuing a career change, as many people think I'm doing. I absolutely love my current job. Though, one of the feeling you get during the course is the eye-watering costs involved in general aviation and that you really should go down a commercial path to make it "worth it". I managed to get two undergraduate degrees, one with honours and complete a PhD for about the same dollar value as this PPL program will take!! Admittedly university fees were lower when I started 17 years ago than today, so the comparison is not that fair, but it's at least an order-of-magnitude comparison.

The school I'm at is the AAA. I'd really like to get involved with more events through the RQAC, though the current issues I have is time management (work, two children, completing the PPL, etc.) and managing the costs involved.

My next lesson is another navigation exercise, YBAF-YTFD-YWCK-YBAF. Will clearly involve a diversion of some sort, so lots of fun.

I've had a poke around this forum, and there are lots of great discussions here. Thank you to the people who run this site. I personally think it looks fantastic!

• Like 1

Good on you. I not long ago completed my PPL, doing it for more or less the same reason as you (in fact there is a lot of common things between what you posted and myself!!)

Hold off on the events with RQAC for now and focus on getting the PPL done. Given you are doing it for recreation, you will have heaps of time for the social events once you have finished your PPL.