J170 to J230 conversion

scre80

Hi All,

Today I had my first flight to be certified in the J230. I had only ever flown the J170. Quite a difference between the 2, especially in landing.

Was quite surprised how high I also had to get the nose in the takeoff, and goes with out saying from the bigger engine, got to circuit height in no time at all!!

Anyone else got anything to share about the difference between flying the 2 aircrafts?

• Informative 1

170 and 230 have the same wing. I found that it felt different on landing as well but I think that has more to do with the engine idle. It doesn't want to come down as easy. I didn't like that part too much so I'd slip it in to avoid a massive circuit. Other than that, the 230 is a much nicer plane and the 170 will feel underpowered with 2 on board after you get used to a 230. 6 banger is also a lot smoother to fly behind.

• Agree 3

I found having to keep the nose higher very different on landing. Didn't help we had a fluctuating wind from straight down the runway to a full side cross wind of 10 knots for the first time!! Made it interesting!!