Hi all

doc14u2

Now it's my turn to admit that I'm a baby pilot, What are the green and blue bits that you are talking about?034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif034_puzzled.gif.13de25ca01afc5c2eb51a5155a4de661.gif

The green bit on the bottom is the grass and the blue bit on the top is the sky ! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Haha 1

The green bit on the bottom is the grass and the blue bit on the top is the sky ! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

:roflmao:Glad you clarified that, what with the talk of them being on the left and right.... maybe in those cases they may qualify as "unusual attitudes"

Yes, the way the wind has been around the oaks the last few weeks I have felt like a moth in a wind storm lol. Honestly, I didn't realise that a plane could bounce around that much and both massive wing drop and wind lift back and forth, like being in a tumble drier. And tho it did smooth out a little, and I mean a Little, when I dropped down into very short final, I am not ashamed to say that a few of my touch and goes were just go's. Dave agreed with me on a few occasions when it was clear to me that I was too fast, too long and not a bit stable enough to try to touch down and I just put the power back on, lifted the nose and scampered out of there, saying no way am I going to even try to get closer than about ten feet off the deck. You've probably all heard the old saw about there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots. When I was just becoming a teenager, an old pilot friend of mine back then George Hazel used to tell me that over and over and if it doesn't look right, Go Around. It is nothing to be ashamed of. As a baby pilot now, oh yes, thanks George, I am listening. By the way, any wisdom like that sort of thing that any of you more experienced pilots wish to send my way, it will always be received with gratitude and I hope humility, at 55 I have a lot of catching up to do and I will always try to listen. Again, thank you to all of you pilots out there who have been so welcoming, it truly is appreciated

• Like 1

As Nev said, never be afraid to go around. Besides, that's just a bit more in the air time. A good landing is always preceded by a good and stable approach. If that approach is not stable or difficult to stabilize, prepare for the go around.

Also, decisions can be made on the ground before you go. Look at the ARFOR and the TAF, check wind directions and strengths, clouds and other relevant conditions. Know your crosswind capability of the aircraft. Sometimes it's good airmanship to call it a day and fly another time, if the condition fall outside your minimums. What are your minimums? Clouds, winds, precipitation, fog, your health, frame of mind, etc.

Just remember Doc, your instructor will be looking at your maturity in the cockpit, your ability and decision making to always conduct a safe flight. Risk taking is very frowned upon in non-military aviation, so there is no need for it. You will be taking a Human Factors exam soon, if you haven't already, where this is covered. If something is risky, in your opinion, then make another choice. If it's a difficult landing, go around, if you've done that a few times and still no good, divert to another airfield.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks guys for the wise advice. It is something that I have already been practicing. So far Dave thinks my decision making has been really good, just need to work on my discipline in setting up my approach earlier. I did notice that with the big breezes it seemed to work out best when I started slowing myself right down and getting my flaps out at about halfway down the strip on downwind. If I didn't, I found myself struggling when I was needing to turn base. Simple and logical when I think about it, with the extra tailwind on downwind of course I need to set up much earlier as I am getting blown downwind faster, doh. With Dave's help I am slowly getting my brain wrapped around it all, just wish I was smarter and quicker on the uptake but I am getting there. Let's hope for better conditions on Tuesday or if not, better and more timely decision making from me.

I don't pull the power to slow to flaps speed until I am ready to turn base. At my 1st flying school, they taught me to pull the power when level with the threshold on downwind and start deploying flaps. My current instructor pulled me up on it and pointed out that if there's other aircraft on downwind, having an aircraft in front suddenly slowing down, could be dangerous. The natural effect of the turning aircraft will also work to slow the plane quicker. All my flaps and trim are all fully set on base before getting to final so then I can just concentrate on keeping the approach stable and doing the landing. Something maybe to discuss with your instructor?

Circuits are quite busy for the pilot, what with the takeoff, the landing checks on downwind, setting the plane up for landing, but believe me with time, dedication and practice, it does get easier.