Expression of interest for a spot in a new hangar!

Hi all!!

I am 22 years old and originally from Swan Hill in the mallee, moved down to Ballarat to go to university to become a registered nurse, after completing my studies I got a job at the local private hospital and have been there for a few years now. I completed my RAA license in my Jabiru 230 locally in swan hill in-between uni and just finished my cross country endorsement at the start of the year. I now have my jabiru with me in Ballarat, trying to tackle a much busier air space and more challenging weather!

My poor little plane isn't liking the wet weather down here under the covers so Im in the lengthy process of constructing a hangar at the Ballarat aerodrome, hopefully hold 4-6 planes a similar size to mine. seeking any expression of interest from anyone looking for a spot in a hangar!

Kind regards,

the new pilot.

How far have you got with your enquiries? Is land available? That aerodrome has a Heritage overlay. I did most of the applications and permits for a hangar there some ten years or so ago and had my Citabria there in a group owned Hangar . You can't really leave planes out in the open. If you can afford to own it , (the Hangar). You should be able to fill it up with rent paying planes. Check out the demand. It was growing when I was there, and we had people waiting for places. Design it properly to enable planes to get in and out without damage , and work out the size you want to limit them to.Nev

image.jpeg.a4fb437119ce800f8a43bfb8f3de6f3c.jpeg

One of the new Lethbridge Airpark hangars.

It's well worth a visit to see just what's happening at YLED.

Club BBQ lunch every Saturday.

The YLED airpark Lethbridge is growing rapidly with 14 new hangars up in the last 12 months.

A recent meeting indicated four super size hangars are going in over the next three months. One is about 50m X 60m with three adjoining nearly as big.

There's three other hangars similiar to this photo starting this month - just waiting on the rain to stop.

The lethbridge Airpark owner has indicated a further 40 plus sites will be released shortly.

Freehold sites sold last year for under $100,000 with hangars around $140,000 being built. The 14 hangars built are all around 20m X 20m and hold six aircraft each. Some have offices and workshop facilities.

As Lethbridge is close to Ballarat it may be a good alternative - not to mention not having to share airspace and circuits with overseas students whom have some difficulty.

I've heard rental amounts of $50 to 70 per week being offered around...

• Informative 2

Guest SrPilot
[ATTACH=full]44541[/ATTACH]It's well worth a visit to see just what's happening at YLED. Club BBQ lunch every Saturday. The YLED airpark Lethbridge is growing rapidly with 14 new hangars up in the last 12 months. A recent meeting indicated four super size hangars are going in over the next three months. One is about 50m X 60m with three adjoining nearly as big. There's three other hangars similiar to this photo starting this month - just waiting on the rain to stop. The lethbridge Airpark owner has indicated a further 40 plus sites will be released shortly. Freehold sites sold last year for under $100,000 with hangars around $140,000 being built. The 14 hangars built are all around 20m X 20m and hold six aircraft each. Some have offices and workshop facilities. I've heard rental amounts of $50 to 70 per week being offered around...

Count yourselves lucky fellows!

I do not believe we have had as many hangars built on our airport in 20 years as you are getting in less than 2 years. In fact, we've torn down some of the older stuff so there's usually a wait list for hangar space even though the pilot population is declining. In my pre-teen through 20s, we had plenty of student pilots and renters around the airport every weekend. Today, just the (few) usual suspects at a regional airport supporting two cities and a major university totaling over 200,000 people within 15-20 minutes of urban driving.

If I'm reading the rentals correctly, $38US to $50US per week would be cheap on the low side and about even on the high side to hangar rentals in this area. I own one hangar and rent a space in another and I waited to get both. I sold another hangar some years ago and have regretted it ever since the sale.

The city owns the airport so between municipal, state and federal involvement, the general aviation pilots don't have much say or many opportunities to grow. We should have built a private airport years ago. I get tired of hearing my footsteps echoing off walls when I walk across a ramp these days. But our tower crew loves to see the A22LS taxi out for pattern (circuit) work because that - along with the Air Force and Navy trainers joining the pattern from two nearby military bases - keeps their operations count up.

Yes - we are fortunate as the field started off totally private with a number of hangars for TNT.

Then the owner sold off the first 20 sites.

Small the hangars today. There are two addition stages with 40 hangars on dale shortly.

Im in the process with the council at the moment, just trying to figure out what size hangar to invest in, looking at around the 23m wide. There is land available with 10 year leases, and apparently its no issues to get around the heritage overlay, just a bit of paperwork. the club charges $70 per week for a spot in the back in a big hanger with 12+ other RA and GA planes (I would have to move several planes to get mine out) and there was only temporary spots available, so I figured building my own hangar to store my jabiru in, as well as rent out the extra space would be a good investment to sit on, and eventually when I move I could continue to rent out the extra spaces.

image.jpeg.6d6bdf60d91e4660a8b15687dc640c89.jpeg The quality of the new hangars is amazing with owners heavily investing in their hangars.

The freehold ownership obviously allows owners total freedom in their hangar...098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

There is a hangar site from the first round still for sale.

The big plus here now is the high quality of grassed areas, hangar roadways and gardens around.

Lethbridge now has the largest fuel storage facility in the area. Fuel includes; Avgas, Mogas and Jet fuel...:rotary:

The airfield becoming a stop off and holding field for emergency fire, ambulance and large helicopters....:rotary:

SO THATS AN UPDATE. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif