Slight fenderbender involving Evektor Eurostar.

Come on guys-loosen up - you know exactly what I mean! But that is the delight of these forums! The 172 and Sportstar DO "land themselves" - compared with for example the Eagle 150 or the Rutan Longeze - what nasty planes are they! Uncomfortable, bad visibility, no sense of humour at all, a constant battle all the way down finals to balance speed and descent rate, and depressing when your co-pilot/senior pilot with many thousands of hours under the belt stuffs up the landings as often as you and swears almost as much! I'd rather go back to sky-diving that fly those beasts again - would make about as much sense!

Silly incident where the pilot immediately admitted that he got it too slow on the approach,. . . stalled it briefly, and left wing dropped, . . . but he managed to regain control again, but too late to go around nor prevent a hard landing off to the left of the grass runway,. . . picture shows the moment of impact. . . . .with bits of grass and earth flying into the air. . . No injuries, but substantial damage to the undercarriage, the airframe and a shockload to the engine. . . . a couple of seconds after this frame was taken,. . .the aircraft settled in a level atttitude, and the pilot / passenger evacuated with nil injuries. ( I think this aircraft is similar to the Evektor 'Sportstar' machine marketed in OZ )[ATTACH=full]45536[/ATTACH]

Oft repeated mistake with all sorts of aeroplanes, but this time,. . .no injuries.

"Extremely lightly built aircraft will 'Bend' equally easily when misused. . " ( Quote from Mike Whittaker, designer of the MW series of basic aeroplanes. . . )

Some "woops" Phil but a great photo and so glad no one was hurt physically (but how'd you live that down in the aero club bar lol)

There but for the grace etc - life and flying both have very steep learning curves! ( remeber our chats a while back about the late Ross Millard)

Some "woops" Phil but a great photo and so glad no one was hurt physically (but how'd you live that down in the aero club bar lol)There but for the grace etc - life and flying both have very steep learning curves! ( remeber our chats a while back about the late Ross Millard)

Yes Doc,. . . .I do remember. . . .

The 172 is a bit like landing a bus,. . . easy to see why it became the most produced aircraft of all for some years. . . until the Bell Jetranger came along. . . beautiful aircraft to fly,

It's the inertia thing which catches people out in my view, as prviously commented, where a pilot switches from GA to VLA. . . OK, they 'Sort of' land themselves in benign conditions, when commanded by a switched on pilot and this is the important thing.

In this instance with regard to the Eurostar. . .set it up properly trimmed at the right speed for the conditions and according to the the POH . . . then it will 'land itself' the way you have instructed it to. . . . without bending the nosewheel leg !

• Helpful 1

Great to catch up again Phil- how's flying in Pomgolia! I'd hope that most pilots are"switched on" so understand and appropriately cope with differing types and weights- this is not difficult- it's about basic airmanship isn't it? Responses like 'Birdseye's ' response " nonsense " is arrogant and doesn't contribute much to helpful discussion.

Stay well and rug up!

Great to catch up again Phil- how's flying in Pomgolia! I'd hope that most pilots are"switched on" so understand and appropriately cope with differing types and weights- this is not difficult- it's about basic airmanship isn't it? Responses like 'Birdseye's ' response " nonsense " is arrogant and doesn't contribute much to helpful discussion.Stay well and rug up!

Flying here in Pomgolia ? . . . well. . . we have had an interesting weather cycle for the past four months, ie, warm pleasant tuesday, wednesday, thursday, light winds and CAVOK, . . with the weekends all blown out, fogged out or washed out ! . . . many of my co-conspirators are still working for a living so manly fly weekends only. . . so this has been somewhat irritating for a number of them ! Sunday was beautiful, but the forecast was for rubbish. Consequently, only one aircraft came out of it's burrow. . . I did see a tumbleweed meandering along a runway though. . . . Bloody UK Weather !

Sure was terminal that entrance

A neighbour emailed that this morning mate,. . . asked if I knew the pilot. . . I said, Yeah, old Charlie from Hyannis in the States,. . .

I admit I have not checked Hyannis News on the web to find out what happened, but I've already decided in my wisdom that it was a poorly planned landing. . . . . . .Maybe shoulda pulled the BRS. . .Might've done a bit less damage ?

I SHARE YOUR PAIN MATE. . . . what the heck was that guy thinking ?. . . a simple pull of a nice red handle could have solved all that grief. . . . . . . .

I've got a good idea,. . why not re-design the airframe from scratch, and make it easier to fly. . .like the DeHavilland Drover ? ? ? Then we wowuld not be constantly regaled by stories of poor, ordinary , non-test pilots who couldn't get it to start flying again, when they'd fecked up the airpseed / final turn cross controls / attitude. . .or summat else FCS. . . .

That aircraft is definitely NOT on my lottery winner bucketlist,. . .Jeeze, if I wanted something that tried to kill me on a half hourly basis, I'd go for a Rutan Vari, or Long-Eze. . . . .

And after having a 'GO' as a passenger in a 'Vari-Eze' at Moorabbin,. . .I can honestly say that it isn't an experience that I'd fancy repeating. . . . .

The bloke who owned it, or somebody he knew. . . . killed himself by stalling the unstallable machine a year after I'd had a ride. . .and crashed it, on a runway at Moorabbin. . . . without wishing to sound 'Superior' or speaking ill of the departed by the way. This was tragic. I had originally been really impressed with the advertising on this aircraft, and was trying to start a syndicate to buy and build one. . . . .until I flew in it . . .and decided against this, preferring to restore an Auster instead. . . .

• Agree 1

Funny that Phil! Three of us built a Longeze in the UK in the eighties- I cannot now remember quite why though! She's still around apparently- G-MUSO. What a nasty, uncomfortable beast she was! Sold her to an RAF pilot who obviously found all her handling problems and physical discomfort perhaps preferable to his work 'ride'. She has now moved on, and the latest owner contacted me to inquire after photos of the build. They were lost during my divorce- not really that bothered!

Even the easy to land Cessna's and Piper Cherokees would benefit from a definite hold off and back stick to eliminate the chance completely of the plane wheelbarrowing. They are definitely built with most of the nasties out of them but people continue to crash them. Like most planes your ability to fly them will show when you do a reasonably strong crosswind component arrival. Some pilots of the mentioned planes think the rudder pedals are for resting your feet on .Nev

• Agree 1