Savannah stall characteristics

mcrowley

I've experienced the incredibly docile power off stall of the Savannah S. Would the Savannah pilots mind telling me how she behaves in a full power stall? With full flaps and with no flaps? Thanks!

She will hang on that prop all day! I set 3500 to 4000 on rpm for power on as with full power she is hard to break unless you truly stand her up. Can you imagine the performance envelope with the new ICP MO9 Engine rated at 115hp?

• Like 1

My VG stalls clean power off at 30knts and dirty power off 26knts, speeds verified as much as possible by GPS. Comes with a little buffet that is so close to the stall that it isn't really useful as a warning then a left wing drop. For what it's worth the aircraft is very well rigged and flies hands off well.

I've practised stalling the aeroplane with partial power but personally I'd be wary of intentionally stalling the plane with full flaps and full power. I don't subscribe to the theory heard from time to time about such and such an airframe never stalling and just "mushing" down at a very high rate of descent. A canard configuration maybe where the canard obviously stall first before it yank the wing up into a high enough AOA, given a slow even entry that is. Given sufficient elevator authority I'd think most wings can be pulled up to their critical AOA, and we haven't even got anywhere near discussing accelerated stalls.

The rub is though that in my opinion the way we practise and get used to this sort of stalling behaviour is very artificial and doesn't relate well to what is actually happening in incidents where stall/spin is a factor. I'd wager that just about every pilot who has stalled/spun in was perfectly competent in recognising, and recovering from, an incipient stall resulting from an intentional entry in balanced flight on a steady heading.

What I do really like about my own aircraft's behaviour down slow is that at flare at 28knts or less power off I still have a ton of elevator authority to raise the nose. The previous owner installed VGs on the underside of the elevator and swore by the improvement they generated here, they only come "into play" so to speak as the elevator reaches considerable deflection. I haven't flown a "standard" VG to see if there is any difference.

I do know however that this is the flight regime that some very experienced CH701 pilots bend their aircraft, slowed right up high AOA and power off. Maybe more to do with those grippy slats letting go. A bit like caning a WRX or similar on a hard surface, all good and maximum grip but when they let go they let go

I think it's a safe bet that most stall/spin accidents (apart from the metre too high round out type) don't start from straight and level. I try to remind myself of this ever time I'm taking off or landing from a steep hill strip or manoeuvring at low level.

Draw your own conclusions.

Peter

• Agree 2