Learning to be an AME or L2

In another thread, comment was made that the products of competency based learning programmes relating to aircraft maintenance are far from being able to apply the knowledge in practical situations.

There is nothing much wrong with the syllabus for a Cert IV in Aeroskills, which is the nationwide training one does to become an AME. However, what many people miss in "Competency-based Learning" is that the result is only as good as the assessment of competency. Training organisations who provide this course over 52 weeks, fulltime, produce theoreticians, not practitioners. I'd like to see a condition of successful completion of this Cert IV training that it has to be completed in conjunction with a Statement of Experience, and be timetabled over four years at least.

According to the requirements of competency-based learning the persons have to themselves hold the qualification which includes the learning material they are delivering. Unfortunately, while LAMEs might have held the required authorisations for years, unless they have gone through the process of having that knowledge and experience acknowledge by the issue of a qualification, they cannot teach. It is not difficult to go through the process of Recognition of Prior Learning, but there is the roadblock of $$$$ dollar signs $$$$. I wonder how many people delivering Cert IV in Aeroskills learning programmes meet the requirements of the national authority.

RAAus has not made public the its requirements for the issue of an L2 authority. However, on its website it says that an L2 for aircraft under its control is the same as a LAME for aircraft under CASA control. I wonder if RAAus uses the Cert IV in Aeroskills as knowledge basis for its approvals.

Old Man Emu

• Like 1