Hi from Brisbane

BusaKaine

hi all,

I'm new here so thought I'd better do the right thing and introduce myself.

I'm 37 and for my birthday a few months back my wife booked some flying lessons for me. It's been many years sicne I last was flying and she knew I've wanted to for a long time.

I'm currently learning in a very nice Sling 2 and then will go through over the next several months and eventually get my PPL.

I am a Technical Scuba diver and the past several years I've focused on that as a hobby. The obvious problem is my hobbies clash both being weather dependent and of course the whole deep CCR diving and flying don't mix well. (Not without some serious complications)

I've purchased a nice set of Bose A20 and I have to say that's made a world of difference from when I was flying a Jabiru back in 1996....

Well I look forward to reading up in the forum and contributing if/where I can.

• Like 2

Hi,

Yes with GoFly but I'm currently flying out at Caloundra at the moment, a few more hours and I might go out of Caboolture as it's a bit closer but want to get a bit more confidence up first.

As for the path, I'll probably go from my RPC to PPL, I'm hoping for the quickest but safest way. I'm more interested in making sure I'm a safe/confident pilot.

• Agree 1

Hi,Yes with GoFly but I'm currently flying out at Caloundra at the moment, a few more hours and I might go out of Caboolture as it's a bit closer but want to get a bit more confidence up first.

As for the path, I'll probably go from my RPC to PPL, I'm hoping for the quickest but safest way. I'm more interested in making sure I'm a safe/confident pilot.

May I suggest that you make that move you want, sooner rather than later. I did a similar thing 10 hours into my flight training. I had a change of school, instructor, plane and aerodrome. I have to admit it set me back significantly.Apparently the move from RPC to RPL is not that difficult. Get the cross country endorsement through RAAus, get a medical and do a flight test in a bigger aircraft, and it is yours. The bonus here is that your cross country is done on RPC rates which generally more cost effective. Not sure of the pros and cons of going straight for PPL.

How did you find the Jabiru's? I'm considering buying one, not sure which models yet, but I'm looking at maybe a J160, J170, J120 or even the LSA 55/3j

• Like 1

Thank you, that's great to know. yes it seems that the endorsements are cheaper under RAAus so that's a big bonus. Helps my fly more for less :D

Caboolture is a much busier than Caloundra that's why I'm happy to fly from there at the moment. Plus Caboolture is grass so I wanted to be more confident, even if I do all of my flying out of Caloundra until I'm certified.

The Jabiru was a great little plane and back in the day (I mean over 20years ago) it was a very cheap plane to fly.

• Like 1

I fly into Caboolture a lot, and to be honest, I think they are on par, traffic wise. Mind you, the lack of taxiways at Caloundra may make it seem busy, backtracking in the breaks between aircraft in the circuit pattern. A bit like Gympie.

I like and prefer grass airstrips, they tend to be a little softer on the undercarriage. Also they are good practice for your short field take offs.

Which model of Jab were you flying?

• Like 1

That makes sense given everyone has to come from the same area. I only once had a grass takeoff and that was in Bundaberg for something different just before I left. I'm sure it was a J120 (I will check my log book when I get home and see what I had written down). A few of the guys at the Aeroclub back in the day had a few different ones. I just remember the guys with 172's saying how much cheaper to maintain the Jabiru's were. No idea how that stacks up today. I mean it was only $99/h with instructor back then to learn to fly....

• Like 1