Class D airspace procedures

This is what I liked about the system in the USA, they teach you how to fly in class D and then they are all the same. Once you have 1 sorted you can go anywhere.

Over there class C works the same everywhere too. Fly into Fayetteville with your instructor and work it out, then Savannah, Huntsville or Norfolk are all the same.

• Agree 1

I agree with you to a point, but if all airspace users make up their own version of what to say and constantly seek clarifIcation of instructions there will be constant RT chatter and a breakdown in the system.Pilots should strive to use standard phraseology, but this does take time and practice.

I prefer to think of them as ATS rather than ATC. The S being for Services, as you stated they are there to provide a service and at times some need reminding of that fact.

At the risk of diverging from the Class D environment topic being discussed here, C stands for control for a reason. We strive to be accepting of sub standard phraseology(gotta learn somehow) but your flight isnt the only aircraft in the sky, and sometimes pilots need reminding of that. The service you may be receiving might be minimal but we simultaneously could be controlling 20 + other aircraft on frequency which do require seperation to avoid collisions. Its a big picture environment, we have to provide a service to everyone not just the one aircraft at a time.

If the procedures are different between metro and regional class D, then where do I go to find information on 'regional' class D operations like Coffs and Albury? All the books, guides, official publications, web resources all refer to metro class D ops, or class C ops.

Most of what you want to know is here and I recommend you get a copy, it is online and the link is available here to, good luck. Visual flight guide | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Also look at OnTrack | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Most of what you want to know is here and I recommend you get a copy, it is online and the link is available here to, good luck. Visual flight guide | Civil Aviation Safety AuthorityAlso look at OnTrack | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Thanks Camel. I have checked out those resources. The VFG just talks about class C, G, and D but as the other poster pointed out though, metro class D and regional class D seem to be operational different, and the VFG and other resources don't explain this difference.

• Informative 1

Thanks Camel. I have checked out those resources. The VFG just talks about class C, G, and D but as the other poster pointed out though, metro class D and regional class D seem to be operational different, and the VFG and other resources don't explain this difference.

You need to understand that most city secondary airports use to be GAAP and it means special proceedures for that airport so if you use Class D proceedures and say unfamiliar with the location then tower will advise of any special proceedures, all old GAAP are meant to be Class D not special proceedures anymore but you know how it goes ! Can any air services people confirm this or explain it better for RJW ?

Before you needed an endoresment or logbook entry to be more precise of each GAAP airport, so I had Albury Class D and Canberra Class C training but needed to do Bankstown separately.

If the procedures are different between metro and regional class D, then where do I go to find information on 'regional' class D operations like Coffs and Albury? All the books, guides, official publications, web resources all refer to metro class D ops, or class C ops.

What you read in the AIP is what to use at class D (real) aerodromes. What you hear around the local hangars seems to be fairly accurate for "metro" D. Personally I stick to the AIP at both, if they want me to something different, they are welcome to ask.