DVD Compression Software?

Knighty

Hi gang

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding a software package to copy home DVD's apart from DVD Shrink as I am having difficulties with a recyclic redundancy error that keeps on getting displayed when I am ripping. Shrink will compress some DVD's then fall into a screeming heap and refuse to read others, its a great free program when it works however.

Yes people I am aware of copyright legislation so please dont remind me!

Please feel free to send me a PM with your info if you dont want to respond publically to my inquiry.

Thanks

Knighty

Ben,

This from the MS help file (Hit F1 at your desktop this brings up the Windows help window, then search for Autorun)

If there is a CD-ROM changer attached to your computer, you may want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs (the automatic running of a compact disc [CD] or the automatic playing of an audio CD-ROM). If automatically running CD-ROMs is enabled with a CD-ROM changer, each time that you insert a new CD-ROM into one of the trays, Windows cycles through every tray in the changer.

There is no option to enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs in the user interface. To enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs, you must edit the registry: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER. 2. Locate and click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1. 4. Restart your computer.

NOTE: This method disables automatically running CD-ROMs. If you want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs depending on the CD-ROM that you insert in the CD-ROM drive, you can press and hold down one of the SHIFT key while you insert the CD-ROM.

Additional Information

There are two other registry keys that can affect this functionality: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

-and-

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

The correct value for each is 0x00000095.

HTH

Thanks for the info lads, I have been given a program to trial by a mate, if this fails I will look further into the advice given on this thread. Much appreciated!

Knighty

Guest mudjeep

A "friend of mine" uses DVD Decrypter to copy the contents to a directory on his hard drive, then uses Nero to burn it onto DVD. Not to keep, just to timeshift to when he wants to watch it, using rewritable DVDs.

Found my FREE solution

A "friend of mine" uses DVD Decrypter to copy the contents to a directory on his hard drive, then uses Nero to burn it onto DVD. Not to keep, just to timeshift to when he wants to watch it, using rewritable DVDs.

Hi Mudjeep

I've downloaded the free DVD Decrypter program and it works perfectly for the discs Shrink will not read. What I do is download the DVD onto the hard drive in 'C' then let Shrink do its thing to compress the movie so I can put it onto a 4.7gig blank. Bit of double handling but it works every time.

Most bought movies are always 6-7gigs so I still need a compression program, if your friend is using Nero then it must have some sort of a compression within it's program??? I am not real familiar with Nero as I always use Roxio so I cant really comment.

Happy ripping and burning (sounds like something the Grim Reaper would say!)

Knighty

Guest mudjeep

Yeah Nero is great. It automatically works out the compression, lets you adjust the compression ratio between the main feature, menus and special features etc, and remove components that you don't want such as subtitles, soundtracks, menus or whatever. I got my first copy free with my CD Stomper and have upgraded cheaply (a third of the retail price) twice now. I also use it to remove the ads from TV shows I want to burn. I wouldn't be without it.

Nero could also read the DVD of course if it wanted to, but being a commercial product they recognise and respect copy protection features.