Hi

Kirby09

I learned on Rotax powered aircraft, mostly, nosewheel Lightwing GR912's, so getting to know and respect my Jab, has been a bit different to what I'm used to. But it is good. She handles very much like the other aircraft I've flown, only she is much faster than the Lightwing.

Engine management requires a little more attention. Being air cooled, you have to be mindful of the airflow to it to keep it cool, so you do some things a little differently. Like climbing out, instead of continuing climbing at VY speed, it is better to maintain good airflow over the engine by reducing the rate of climb and increasing the speed from 68kts to 80kts. Another is having to point the nose into the wind during warmup. I am mindful of the many troubles Jabiru engines have had in the past, so I find myself monitoring the engine gauges a whole lot more, I should be doing that anyway, so she is making me a better pilot!

She is a little slippery, so she prefers landing a bit faster than the Lightwing, she is very sluggish when I land her full flap at 55kts, but greases in every time at half flaps at 65kts.

She's a good affordable aircraft though, cruises at 95-100kts, fuel tank 65L with 13-15L/hr fuel burn, that's 3.5hrs, or an effective range of at least 330nm. And it is comfortable to sit in. I purchased her in Woolongong about the same time as you completed your RPC, she flew magnificently all the way!

My only complaint, I think, is that she is light, so with a usable weight of only 181kg to fit me, my pax, fuel and baggage in, I find it challenging at times to stay under MTOW. But what do you expect from a first aircraft, she ticks most of the boxes for me. I think of her as a nice roomy single seater with heaps of baggage space.

I did have an in-flight emergency after a service a few weeks ago. An oil hose burst in flight, and I lost oil pressure. I was in a circuit, so I reduced the throttle to idle and conducted an immediate landing. No damage except for the hose, but the LAME replaced all the oil hoses and refilled the oil. On further investigation, I found out that the hose was well within its service time, it must have been faulty. Pays to be mindful and prepared for anything.

I'm planning on flying to Emerald sometime soon, I have family there. Is there anything I should know about Emerald Airport, not covered in ERSA?

So what are your plans from here? Do you plan on getting any endorsements? Plans for aircraft ownership?

Tony

Good to hear you are enjoying it. I would love to have a fly in a jab as i havent had a chance yet. Usable weight is a bit low but i guess its hard to get everything.

You should be able to find everything in the ersa, hawks often fly around the airport and Q-link and virgin can be a bit of a pain but everything else is pretty straight forward.

Already done XC endorsement and eventually i will do tail dragger and low level endorsement. Hopefuly i can purchase an aircraft with the next year or two. Looking for an overwing with good perfomance and good STOL as well. Would love a foxbat A32 but bit out of my price range at the moment.

• Agree 1

Good to hear you are enjoying it. I would love to have a fly in a jab as i havent had a chance yet. Usable weight is a bit low but i guess its hard to get everything.You should be able to find everything in the ersa, hawks often fly around the airport and Q-link and virgin can be a bit of a pain but everything else is pretty straight forward.

Already done XC endorsement and eventually i will do tail dragger and low level endorsement. Hopefuly i can purchase an aircraft with the next year or two. Looking for an overwing with good perfomance and good STOL as well. Would love a foxbat A32 but bit out of my price range at the moment.

Yes, The LSA55 usable weight is a bit low, the J170 or even J160 with half tanks have a better MTOW, and one of them I can see as my next aircraft. But hey, you have to start somewhere.STOL and speed seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum, it is very difficult to get both, but as you say, the A22 and A32 Foxbats achieve that, but they are frightfully expensive. If you want STOL under $40k there is quite a lot of choice, but you will be flying around at 60 to 80kts. If you want speed, the Jabs are probably the best option.

Thanks for the info on Emerald.

Yes, The LSA55 usable weight is a bit low, the J170 or even J160 with half tanks have a better MTOW, and one of them I can see as my next aircraft. But hey, you have to start somewhere.STOL and speed seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum, it is very difficult to get both, but as you say, the A22 and A32 Foxbats achieve that, but they are frightfully expensive. If you want STOL under $40k there is quite a lot of choice, but you will be flying around at 60 to 80kts. If you want speed, the Jabs are probably the best option.

Thanks for the info on Emerald.

Your not wrong!! The foxbats are a bit expensive and used foxbats arent as common as some of the other aircraft. Unfortunately im yet to find anything that has simalar specs.

Hi Kirby, We are from Springsure, although we spend most of our time elsewhere. Are you town or surrounds? My C152 is still based there.Sue

Hi Sue,

I live 90kms west of sprinsure on a cattle station in the lochington area. Do you still get to fly her often?

Your not wrong!! The foxbats are a bit expensive and used foxbats arent as common as some of the other aircraft. Unfortunately im yet to find anything that has simalar specs.

I made an enquiry about a Foxbat A32 syndicate when I was looking to buy. I'm guessing it might be a little difficult finding a similar option in your area.

Hi Sue,I live 90kms west of sprinsure on a cattle station in the lochington area. Do you still get to fly her often?

Unfortunately not, but we are getting our flying fix with the RANS and working on the other planes. There comes a point where you spend more time working on planes that doesn't leave you with much time for enjoying them. Presently working on the fabric covering on the Lightwing.

Do you have a strip on the station?

I made an enquiry about a Foxbat A32 syndicate when I was looking to buy. I'm guessing it might be a little difficult finding a similar option in your area.

Oh true couldnt find anything? No syndicates are a bit rare in our area as far as I know.

• Agree 1

Unfortunately not, but we are getting our flying fix with the RANS and working on the other planes. There comes a point where you spend more time working on planes that doesn't leave you with much time for enjoying them. Presently working on the fabric covering on the Lightwing. Do you have a strip on the station?

Oh wow sounds like you have a few aircraft!! There is an old air strip from years ago but needs a lot of attention to get it usuable again.