Suitable High Temp Materials

Thruster87

Looking at the pictures posted on these forums it appears many are using inappropriate materials in the engine bay. Plastic ties should not be used but Adel Corrosion Resistant Steel band, Silicone Cushion (400F) clamps, End sealing fire sleeves using RTV 106 type of sealant, Fire wall thru grommets need to be covered with Stainless steel covers and any area that may allow any gases to penetrate into the cockpit sealed, All hose fittings should be steel as aluminum ones will fail very quickly due to high temps. So select carefully the materials you have used, so as to minimize the risks in case of an engine bay fire. Cheers T87

Hi t87 you forgot to mention nylock nuts I would be worried about using S/steel bands instead of nylon ties to bunch wires and ducts and hoses from chaffing each other but I plead ignorance here I've not seen those things anywhere in fact none of the items you highlighted to use were present in my 1961 Cessna 150 engine bay I leave it to wiser men to consider whats best in the UL scene be careful out there

Ralph

I am guilty of some of that, but tell me; does a plane engine bay get hotter than a car bay? and what about the battery and electricals which are rated a lot lower than cable ties.

The oil temp max for a jab is 150 degrees, so the bay should stay cooler than this, and cable ties certainly can stand 150 degrees. So can nylock nuts.

My opinion; probably wrong as usual.

The main reason I decided to mention the importance of appropriate material [all the parts] choices was with respect to ENGINE BAY FIRES and how to hopefully buy time.So the next time you have a look, visualize what would happen in case of a fire and how a hot spot could spread or lead to a fire and how to slow ingress into the cockpit area of both HEAT and GASES. Also should have mentioned Aluminum cabin heater boxes as a prime area of concern as these should also be made from s steel as it would be a direct line to the cockpit. Cheers T87

Ah, some good points mentioned here Thruster 87. I think the 'under hood' area is something that needs some looking into. some real potential traps out there.

in hot spots best to use 'metlok' nuts instead of nylon.

ozzie

You may notice that the temps under the cowl are highest when the p[lane is sitting on the ground after shutting down the engine. I think if anything was going to melt on mine it would be then. Even the CHT goes to its highest about 2 minutes after shutdown and that is with a cooling off period before stopping.