Kelvin-Helmholtz Billows

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

This is not the best photo ever but it does show you what a K-H billow cloud looks like. They happen often in high winds at the shear layer between two opposing airflows.

Regards

Mike

What's in a name?

Mike, I'm wondering how I managed to fly for 49 years and NOT know the name of THAT cloud. I probably covered it by saying something like " If you fly near them clouds with the curly ends it might be a bit rough ". (sigh) so MUCH to learn.. Nev...

Guest pelorus32
Mike, I'm wondering how I managed to fly for 49 years and NOT know the name of THAT cloud. I probably covered it by saying something like " If you fly near them clouds with the curly ends it might be a bit rough ". (sigh) so MUCH to learn.. Nev...

Ahh Nev,

I suspect that like you I've decided that it doesn't really matter....It's an interesting curiosity though isn't it?

There is a nice literature about these clouds and the dynamics that create them. I'd stumbled across them when looking for something else, become engrossed...and then a couple of days later I looked out the window and here one was.

I suspect also that they are a newly described curiosity - say the last 10 years or so.

A mild distraction from the pre-Xmas cr*p.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...