6.6hr Update

So I'm up to 6.6hrs to date and into circuits now.

First circuits were crosswinds, had my instructor laughing and apologising at the same time. At the end of the lesson, his comment was, "well it looks like we can still use it (the plane), so not too bad". Those Jabs are pretty tough.

I will admit I'm surprised at how much coordination is required, and how things get out of shape really quickly. I'm starting to use my feet better, not great, but better, but it's taken a while.

Luckily my instructors reactions are quick (i'm sure they all are), I can count 2 landings and 2 take-offs that I wouldn't have walked away from on my own. I've initiated 2 go-arounds, which my instructor said was the right call, he could have landed them but was happy with my decision.

Having a ball, got some landings today and did some flapless and glide approaches.

Cheers

Ross.

• Like 4

Hi Ross,

Sounds like you're having fun and keeping your instructor on his toes at the same time.

Can't be all that bad if he's laughing and apologising at the same time.

Crosswind keeps the feet busy, enjoy.

• Like 1

So I'm up to 6.6hrs to date and into circuits now.First circuits were crosswinds, had my instructor laughing and apologising at the same time. At the end of the lesson, his comment was, "well it looks like we can still use it (the plane), so not too bad". Those Jabs are pretty tough.

I will admit I'm surprised at how much coordination is required, and how things get out of shape really quickly. I'm starting to use my feet better, not great, but better, but it's taken a while.

Luckily my instructors reactions are quick (i'm sure they all are), I can count 2 landings and 2 take-offs that I wouldn't have walked away from on my own. I've initiated 2 go-arounds, which my instructor said was the right call, he could have landed them but was happy with my decision.

Having a ball, got some landings today and did some flapless and glide approaches.

Cheers

Ross.

Hi Ross,

Those pesky crosswinds will still be a bane of your flying experience for many more hours to come. I have just hit the 25 hours mark in my rpc quest and just when i think i have a stable approach the wind goes no you don't.

Trick is to enjoy it and not let them intimidate you and the smooth days will feel like heaven.

Here is gopro of my last weekend flight with 9-10kt crosswinds not huge but still enough to make a low hour pilot like me get all worked up.

Mathew

Hi Ross,Those pesky crosswinds will still be a bane of your flying experience for many more hours to come. I have just hit the 25 hours mark in my rpc quest and just when i think i have a stable approach the wind goes no you don't.

Trick is to enjoy it and not let them intimidate you and the smooth days will feel like heaven.

Here is gopro of my last weekend flight with 9-10kt crosswinds not huge but still enough to make a low hour pilot like me get all worked up.

Hi Mathew,

Nice video, thanks for posting it. I'm Curious how you set the gopro to record the your headset mic not the cockpit 'noise' ?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Mathew,Nice video, thanks for posting it. I'm Curious how you set the gopro to record the your headset mic not the cockpit 'noise' ?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I use a audio jack that plugs into the go pro directly and the aircraft comms. I then use audacity to filter out feed back and other noises.

Mathew