VIC Joyflight Crash

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Vic plane crash: Rego was VH-JDI. Nice to see the print media again calling it a Cessna.

Updated: 17:35, Thursday December 13, 2007 A single engine Cessna with four people onboard has crash landed on a golf course near Sorrento, on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula.

All passengers survived the crash, and have been taken to local hospitals.

The small light plane lost power on the way from Anglesea to Moorabbin at about 2.30 this afternoon.

The pilot tried to land at Sorrento Golf course but hit power-lines along Hotham road on the way down.

The plane broke apart on impact and caught fire.

A passing motorist pulled the pilot and three passengers from the wreckage.

A male passenger was unconscious, but is now in a stable condition.

James Howe from the Metropolitan Ambulance Services says the occupants were fortunate to escape with just cuts and bruises.

'From the initial reports we got, it was a very lucky escape.'

The joy-flight is believed to have been a birthday present for one of the female passengers.

Guest High Plains Drifter

Via Sky News tonight,

Reporter speaking about the "Cessna" gliding down over the road -

Quote - "Presenting motorists with a startling reality"

I wonder if any other news service can top that 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

HPD

Guest Fred Bear

They said the pilot managed to detach the wings as these light aircraft can due due to fuel in the wings. More like he hit something and they ripped off the fuse is the likely thing.

Thats right, pull the wing wang from the gooses bridle and the wings just pop off..... jeez the media are 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. At least it wasn't an ultralight this time....:;)3:

Regards

Phil

Guest Ken deVos
Vic plane crash: Rego was VH-JDI. Nice to see the print media again calling it a Cessna.

CESSNA ?

The following aircraft matches your search criteria.

VH JDI

Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-fixed landing gear

Single Piston engine

Manufacturer: PIPER AIRCRAFT CORP

Model: PA-28-161

Serial number: 28-7816483

Aircraft first registered in Australia: 21 August 1991

CESSNA ?

The fact are irrelevant as always, to the press there only three types of aircraft in existence;

(a) Ultralight

(b) Cessna

© Passenger Jet

If unsure of (a) or (b) say "small aircraft", if larger than (a) or (b), but neither a jet nor carrying passengers, © still applies.

The other possible term is a "home made aircraft", they love this one, and may elaborate along the lines of "Built in his shed with a blunt teaspoon"

If little information is available it is often necessary to spice up the story with something like, "The pilot of an ultralight aircraft that crashed on the owners farm did not file a flight plan". They just love that one too.

Occasionally it works in our favour, e.g. if an accident occurs within (say) 5 kilometers of a town, you may get " Hero pilot steers stricken ultralight aircraft away from school". This usually holds them long enough to find a reason to mention that the pilot did not file a flight plan.

Occasionally a journalist will make a serious effort to read a bit about aviation and may learn a few terms like 'Instrument rating', in this case the report of an Drifter having a simple engine-out over the owners paddock at 1:30 pm in CAVOK, may read like this; "Home made ultralight aircraft crashes in paddock, the amateur pilot, who built the aircraft in his shed with a blunt teaspoon, does not hold an instrument rating, and is understood not to have filed a flight plan".

George

Guest Fred Bear
Originally Posted by Darren Masters viewpost.gif Vic plane crash: Rego was VH-JDI. Nice to see the print media again calling it a Cessna.

A tongue in cheek comment Ken. I knew it was a Piper and said rather smartly "Nice to see the media calling it a Cessna".Further: George, you should write for the local rag. Very nice touch there mate!

If you combine the media reports on this crash (the ones I've seen anyway), the aircraft was in fact a very special aircraft. It was an:

Aerobatic Cessna Piper Warrior with jettisonable wings

(and one of the passengers was unconscious before the landing.)

I'm actually not familiar with the type, it sounds like a ripper. It must have had all the special options fitted.

You wouldn't want to hit the wrong button though. Was that the "Direct to" button or the "wing jettison"? Oops.

Guest Ken deVos
A tongue in cheek comment Ken. I knew it was a Piper and said rather smartly "Nice to see the media calling it a Cessna".

Err, I know you know I knew that Darren, really, I do/did!

Funnily, a friend who regularly flies PA28s, agreed with the newspaper report and had to be convinced otherwise. My view is, if it was a real Cessna, it would have made the golf course and not come down so quickly 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.

Guest Fred Bear

Ha ha ha. Good one Ken ;)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And Mazda:

(and one of the passengers was unconscious before the landing.)

It was a birthday flight you know. Who knows how much they consumed before hand.

No, the wings couldn't have been pulled of by the power lines, because, twice in the report I read, it was stated something along the line that "Police Officer bloggs said the pilot dropped the wings because they contained fuel tanks.

Now (tongue planted firmly in cheek), policemen are always right, aren't they??

Tongue now removed from cheek, I find it amazing, no, bloody astonishing, that such rubbish can be printed. How hard would it be to check the facts, & get it right?

Unfortunately, people who haven't had the good fortune to fly, like you & me, believe this stuff. Sad, isn't it. Stepping down from soapbox now.

Media skills.

People, I don't know why you expect anything better. It's not going to get better, and WE are never going to get accurate (or good ) coverage. We could have a completely incident free year and drop toys on all the orphans in the world, and they would call for us to be banned for allowing things to fall from our aircraft. Ever soft toys.. Lamentable as it is, and I personally feel that the media are a BL***Y Monster disappointment, Any system of management requires FACTS to be available to relevant parties ie. Society in general. You don't get facts, you get invented rubbish loosely called NEWS. If the journo's seriously examined their performance in these areas, they should hang their heads in shame. In other areas where they risk their lives daily, I have the opposite view THEY ARE GREAT! NEV..