New to the Forum

Savannah Karl

I am looking at a Rans S21 later next year after I finish the rebuild of a wreck I bought but engines are the issue. The Viking 130 seems to be a great engine...there has been one failure and that is just recently...it was a engine sieze but that is the only issue I can find anywhere a lot of us are watching them to be a viable cheap alternative...the weight is the problem

Holy crap..80Kts (Hank) is going to love you. Have you run the viking yet...and do yo know the actual installed weight inc all coolers and liquids

Ha, not sure of the full wet weight but I weighed it when I got it and it was 224 pounds. That was with nothing installed. Although you can see its a pretty clean install.

I am looking at a Rans S21 later next year but engines are the issue. The Viking 130 seems to be a great engine...there has been one failure and that is just recently...it was a engine sieze but that is the only issue I can find anywhere a lot of us are watching them to be a viable cheap alternative...the weight is the problem

Yeah I heard about that one recently. I'm a little concerned about weight also. I've mounted my batteries as far back in the tail as I could. I did the same with the header tank.

Please keep posting here there are a lot looking at the Viking...let us know your progress...maybe start a new thread in the savannah forum on here titled a Savannah with a Viking...post pics of your install previously if you have pics...it would be really helpful to a lot of people

There was a guy in the USA who has a 110 in a savannah...grant is his name or greg cant remember..it was on youtube

Yes I've seen that video. I also have a buddy who put a 110 in a Zenith 750. He had previously built a Savannah before the S model came out. He is the one who originally recommended both the Savannah and the Viking 130 to me.

We are all sitting back pondering on the Viking but the weight is the scarey thing...bare engine is 100kg !!!! add coolers and liquids maybe 120kg...thats a lot of weight out the front

Yeah I'm pretty nervous about it also. I'm mounting as much equipment as I can as far aft as I can for that reason. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please keep posting here there are a lot looking at the Viking...let us know your progress...maybe start a new thread in the savannah forum on here titled a Savannah with a Viking...post pics of your install previously if you have pics...it would be really helpful to a lot of people

Ok I'll do that, I have a ton of photos. Not a ton of time but I'll work on it.

Do you have to have a new cowl?..I thought it may not fit in the original also did Jan make the engine mount for you

Jan did supply the engine mount. I'm using a 701 cowl. From my preliminary trials it looks like it will fit well. Maybe not as pretty as the new Savannah cowl though.

Ok thats not far....John Saunders will be here in OZ down in Sydney about 1000km south of here for a event that Autodesk is hosting for him. I am flying down to see him there but when I go over there I want to call into his shop. on youtube he is NYCCNC or Saunders Machine Works

Thats great..actually there is a FB group as well for savannah owners. There is a post there that Dan3111 his nick on here posted. Your seatbelt attachments at either side need to be looked at. It just depends on your build manual and kit age. My XL that I built 6 years of which I have a thread on here I did one part right and the other part wrong..the manual has pictures in it that are wrong. I believe the later manuals have been changed. The S that I am rebuilding ( I also have a thread for that) the manual is also wrong but these are 2011 kits. Seems like the kit manual maybe of 2 years ago they have fixed it. There is a different bracket now for the inner (stick side)

Thats great..actually there is a FB group as well for savannah owners. There is a post there that Dan3111 his nick on here posted. Your seatbelt attachments at either side need to be looked at. It just depends on your build manual and kit age. My XL that I built 6 years of which I have a thread on here I did one part right and the other part wrong..the manual has pictures in it that are wrong. I believe the later manuals have been changed. The S that I am rebuilding ( I also have a thread for that) the manual is also wrong but these are 2011 kits. Seems like the kit manual maybe of 2 years ago they have fixed it. There is a different bracket now for the inner (stick side)

I have a 2015 kit and manual. But I'm not sure. Thanks for bringing this up I will check into it.