Compressors

Has anyone had experience using air tools like riveters, drills, die grinders and spray painters with those relatively inexpensive air compressors you can get at places like Super Cheap and Repco ?

Thx,

Chris

hi Chris,

I would not consider anything under 12cfm if you are going to invest in a range of air tools. anything smaller and you will be waiting around for the pressure to build up all the time. running with less than ample supply will damage your tools as well.

If all you can obtain or afford is the small types i would consider extra storge tank and or run water pipe around the shed. this will increase air capacity and help cool the air before it enters your tools. this is important when painting. A quality regulator and water filter is a must. even with extra storage you will wear out a smaller type fast compared to the bigger ones. 12 cfm is about the limit for 10amp power any

bigger and you will need 15amp power.

hope this helps

ozzie

Thanks Ozzie - sounds like I really should consider outlaying a bit more $$ and go for as much capacity as possible that will still run off 10 amps then.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

Just a suggestion without outlaying huge dollars for a compressor that will only be used now and again. Out of date LPG bottles are purchased reasonably cheap and those 90 litre bottles (providing they are still in good order!!! 120psi/8bar is enough to take someones head off if you are using inferior/damaged/rusted/fatigued vessels) are ideal for storage of compressed air for the operation of airtools/painting etc if your compessor is an el cheapo direct drive unit made in China, mine is and no troubles at present after 5 years of use. All you need to do is weld a nipple onto the EVACUATED & FILLED WITH WATER gas bottle and fit your air connections/hoses to it and link it directly to the existing tank supplied with the compressor. The bottles are reasonably thin but thick enough if your good with a stick/mig/oxy welder, if not get another person to do the welding for you!!! Ive done this and the system might take 15-20mins to charge but once its there I can use the racket/rattle guns, die grinders, spray painting equipment etc fairly continuously for my applications. This is certainly not OH&S approved by workcover but as a farm boy living in the bush it works fine.

Use lots of common sense and think about the 'what ifs' and you should be fine matey!

Cheers

Knighty

I have used the method that Knighty has done. it works but as he says there is some potential danger. that is why i have run the galvanised waterpipe around the shed.

if you are going to try this locate the bottles outside the shed and place them in a bin full of water. two reasons. 1. it will cool the air .2. if the bottle bursts the water will help stop you and your workshop from being carved up.

when i was into diving i just missed being involved in an accident in Newcastle when someone ignored the normal procedure and several people were seriously injured when the bottle burst and DESTROYED the shop.

ozzie

Knighty & Ozzie,

Thanks for those suggestions. I wonder if you could use brass step-down fittings to attach the nipple instead of welding it (I have a stick welder but am pretty ordinary with it). We used to have 45kg gas bottles for heating and the copper pipe runs from outside the house to underneath where I will be building so I could probably utilise that and keep the compressed bottle a bit distant at the same time. I also have some 100L stell drums (that used to have pesticide in them) that would acommodate a 45kg lpg cylinder quite nicely so could put water in them for cooling.

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris, before I offer my advice be aware that I am a two bob tool snob.

Buy a McMillan, accept no substitutes. When McMillan says 17 CFM you can bet the farm it is. No need to gerry up additional storage, no need to replace after a few years.

You do get what you pay for. Mine is twenty three years old, built houses, run workshops, stood in when our three phase is out for maintenance and is now building the little plane.

If we do not use and support quality, safe and superior products all we will have is c&n (cheap and NASTY) products.

I'm sure that quality is actually cheaper. I see it every day.

Mark

when i shopped around for mine i looked at several and decided to go for an Aussie unit.the only thing aussie about it is the tank. as far as i can work out the motor is italian and i cannot find any markings as to where the compressor part is made i assume this brand is on the underneath side hidden by the tank.

like Mark said above his unit has given years of quality service so maybe consideration to second hand should also be considered.

ozzie

Binford make compressors in Qld using Fu Sheng compressors (high-grade Taiwanese units, cast-iron with massive roller-bearings etc, Fu Sheng pumps are good units) and Aussie-made receivers, Fachiotti valves etc. I bought one of their V27P Honda-powered 17cfm (free air delivery) units for the workshop and it really works a treat. Their website is http://www.binford.com.au. The V27P is now discontinued, the website has current models.

Pilot are another good brand with cast-iron compressor pumps. Cast-iron works better than aluminium for seriously compressing air, also the volume of the air-receiver is important. My compressor has a 100-litre receiver and works 3/4" drive air impact-wrenches nicely.

I suggest getitng an electric powered unit that runs of a normal domestic 10-amp socket unless you have a 15-amp socket around, in which case a compressor running from a 15-amp outlet is a real gem. Binford and Pilot make both.

Get a decent regulator/drier, and good quality hoses with high-volume fittings (Ryco or Nitto rather than JAMEC) so your tools can get all the air they need. In-line oilers for your tools are a good idea, I have my oilers a foot or so below the tool on a short hose with a swivelling quick-disconnect fitting (Nitto). If you don't use inline oilers, remember to put a few drops of oil into the air intake of your tools each day, and every couple of hours if you are using some tools continuously.

Cheap compressors are a waste of time and money. They'll just deliver hot, wet air and wear out quickly.

I saw the result of an accident at Coleambally some years ago the result of a farmer welding an air compressor to a LPG gas cylinder to be used as an air tank for the compressor.

The farmer eventually died after about hour suffering from such gruesome injuries that I will not describe them except to say that a Vietnam veteran who also saw it said that it was as bad or worse than anything he had seen in Vietnam.

It took me over six months before I could sleep at night without a very vivid picture of those injuries in my mind and the sound of his wife's screaming.

I hear you Ross!

Thats why I welded the LPG bottle with the valve open and filled to the welded nipple with water. Too many people just go ahead with a good idea without really thinking about the 'what if's' and other common sense stuff that keeps us home DIY's in action and safe within reason.

Rule of thumb, if you are going to weld ANY vessel that had a combustible hydrocarbon in it I.E. any oils vegetable or otherwise, fuels including diesel etc etc FILL THE BUGGER WITH WATER after giving it a good rinse. Metals can be porous so one must take away any risk factors before attempting to go any further, by the way the water eliminates the expansion of combustable gasses ONLY, its not there to put out the fire.

Knighty