Team Skippy - RFDS Outback Air Race 2018

hjubm2

Well with only 50 days until the start of the RFDS Outback Air Race 2018 I thought it would be good to start logging the build up and the race. Before I start, if anyone wants to help out our team in raising donations and help support the RFDS out can donate to our cause at www.TeamSkippy.com.au.

So a bit about the event. For those that have not heard of it before the Air Race is a GPS-based navigation time trial where each team elects the time it will take them to fly between two visual points. They are then scored for how close they are to the elected time and how close they pass to the two visual points.

This year the event is covering approximately 2125nm (3940km) from Archerfield in Qld and finishing 2 weeks later in Broome WA.

Currently there is 39 aircraft and 96 participants entered into the race with most from WA. Sadly it's looking like we are going to be the only competitors supporting the RFDS Central Operations (SA & WA).

For the event we will be flying my Thorp T18 nicknamed "Skippy" (Hence Team Skippy). Skippy was build in 1977 by Ben Weidemann in Victoria. Even though Skippy is over 40 years old he has only flown just over 1000 hours. He's powered by a Lycoming O-320 with a cruise speed of 140 knots @ 32 L/hr. Sadly that only gives us about a 2.5 hours endurance with reserves so it's going to make for a very slow trip back from Broome via half of WA.

Hopefully you will all follow along with us throughout this event and cheer us on. I will update this thread with more information as i get time and as things happen. Again if anyone wants to help us out, you can find more information about us, the event and Skippy plus support us (and the Royal Flying Doctor Service) at www.TeamSkippy.com.au

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been following the race - started today. Outback Air Race 2018 | Supporting the Royal Flying Doctor Service Following progress on the Live Track Outback Air Race - Live Track Thanks to AvPlan EFB | Outback Air Race 2018 Big dinner in Bundaberg tonight. Go Team Skippy! Several RAA aircraft too. Love the team names .. VH-WWW flew past us - Triple Whisky "On the Rocks"