Hi all

Squid

Just a quick note to say g'day. Been flying for about 18 months but 12 of that was in training. Got my RA licence back in August '07. Only flying Sportstars at this stage but keen to build or buy my own aircraft. Not real sure what I want but doing lots of research. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Plan to do a little touring around the state (SA) and continent in the future once I get some hours under my belt. At this stage, I'm enjoying taking family and friends for local flights to see our great coastline.

Looking forward to being a part of the forums.

G'day Squid, welcome to the forum. Haven't met you but I'm an associate member of AAC and live in Morphett Vale. I flew a Sportstar with Rob Wartenhorst last year and found it very 'mundane' compared to a Jabiru. Might have been just the weather though. I to, have dreams of building my own but the 'other half' says we can't afford it. We'll see what this new year brings. Call me on 83877371 and we'll arrange a meet in the cafe' for a chat .

I noticed another post from an Aldingaite but can't find it at the moment, we're not alone.

A very happy and safe new year to everybody.

Hi Doug, really nice to hear from someone local. Mundane is fine with me at this early stage. Still very much in the skill enhancement stage....but getting there. Happy to take an instructor with me for a circuit or two before heading out.

Not entirely sure whether to build or buy. I can get a fair bit of help from the locals around here. I live near the Old Noarlunga Airfield which is what set me going on the flying path. Hope to have an aircraft there one day.

I'll look forward to catching up with you at some stage.

Cheers

Greg

Guest rxbrumby

Hi, nice to see another person from Aldinga. I have nearly finished my rec licence, getting ready to do my test in the next few weeks. I have already bought my own plane, but as it is a tailwheel beast I am holding off doing anything in it other than taxi practice. Im going to do a couple of hours in the sport cub first. It would be good to catch up one day and have a chat, If you are interested I was thinking of finding one or two people to lend my plane to just to help them(for a small donation to help with the upkeep and insurance). I cant hire it as it is a homebuilt and I dont realy want hundreds of people using it. Only a couple of careful and responsible friends. Send me a PM if you are interested, there are some pics in the notams/anouncement catagory.

Scott

Hi Scott, now there's an offer no one can refuse. I'd love to be one of your 'careful and responsible friends'. However, like you, I'll have to get my tailwheel endorsement first. I knew Martyn was thinking of buying a couple of Sport Cubs but wasn't aware that they'd actually arrived. How much is he charging for conversion training? I'm free for a chat anytime (retired, just) so call me and Squid and lets get together at the cafe'.

As a matter of interest,I scanned the members list and found the following Adlingaites:

Squid

AldingaCirculator

Bons

bwarner

Robw

THE DREAM

and yourself. I don't know any of them although Robw might be Rob Wartenhorst, I'll have to ask next time I see him.

I don't actually fly out of Aldinga but do have about 15 hour pax when AAC (Aldinga Aero Club) used to do the Shark Patrols. When I was lucky enough to get the right hand seat, I piloted on the southern run so that the PIC could scan the waters, and this was before I actually took up flying. The real real test for me was when Adelaide ATC called for a right hand (seaward) orbit, at 500ft, for clearance.

BTW, that's one very nice aircraft you've bought. As for Port Noarlunga airfield, I found the people there a bit stand-offish when I went to view the place. "Recreational a/c aren't real planes ya know". Got to have a Steerman or Tiger to fit in. Hopefully that's changed these days.

Anyway catch you later,

Hi Scott very nice looking airccraft. It seems we have quite a community of aviators down this way. Thanks for the consideration regarding your a/c. I'll certainly be interested but like you, no tail wheel endorsement but intend to have a go at it. Have to save up for that as most of my spare cash went getting the RA licence.

Doug, not sure but I think Bons may be Martyn's daughter (from Aldinga). I've found the people from the Old Noarlunga Airfield very accommodating and helpful. Like I said, one of the guys there got me started. I can't comment on what their view of ultralights is but there is a Jab in the hangar so that's positive.

Cheers, Greg

Guest rxbrumby

Hopefully I will be able to safely pilot my plane by then as it sounds like fun. I havent as yet flown to Jamestown. I was up at clare over Xmas and was going to drive there to check out the airfield, but I never got around to it(I did find the farrel flat field, didnt look all that inviting to fly to). I am looking forward to traveling around the state in the near future, I think I will start a places to visit in SA thread.

Scott

ps. I will be at the airfield sunday AM

Scott and I met up at the airfield on Sunday and I had a chance to see his 'new toy' up close and personal. It really is a very well built little plane, little being the operative word. At 6 foot I'm too tall to fly it safely. My head is hard on the canopy and my knees bent too much for comfort. I could remove the seat cushion but that only adds to the discomfort. Damm. would really have liked to take Scott up on his offer to fly it for him, (after tail wheel conversion of coarse). The Minicab shares a hanger with a Durine Turbulent built by the same chap, Keith ??? (86 and still flying). Both planes are finished in the same basic colour scheme and look real friendly. Pity I forgot to take a camera or mobile phone with me.

Hi Squid,

If it would make the step for purchasing an aircraft easier, there is a share in a Jabiru 160 for sale. The aircraft is hangered in Aldinga. One of the members of our syndicate has a 3.5 years overseas work commitment. An advertisement should be hanging somewhere in the Adelaide biplanes office.

And Doug, yes Robw is Rob Wartenhorst :-). I thought that desktop pilot was you. But now I am sure.

Cheers,

Rb

Hi Scott, Sorry I couldn't get down to Aldinga on Sunday but as usual, things overtake me at home. It would be nice to catch up at some stage although I was down there the other day and I saw your aircraft taxiing around. I was in the office for a moment then provided some ballast in a cessna 182. Very nice. When I got back, your aircraft had vanished. Did I see it on Saturday (I think) doing a circuit over Old Noarlunga Airfield?

Robw, Thanks for the consideration re the Jabiru but like a lot of other newby pilots, I'm kicking tires at the moment. Hopefully it will happen for me one day.

Cheers

Greg

Hi All

Welcome to the fold Squid. i'll be over in Adelaide in Feb somewhere around the 18th I think.

Would be great to catch up with you all at Aldinga and put faces to names.

regards

Phil

Guest rxbrumby

Yes it was me taxing around, but it was a turbulent that you saw at old nourlunga. It is a very simular looking aircraft but ony about 3/4 the size. We were flying around in my plane saturday at the same time but we where over silversands and aldinga beach.