In flight adjustable propeller

stevron

At the HP (115) of that engine I don't think it would make sense weight and cost wise. It already swings a fair diameter prop. Unless you need to cruise at above say 120K the rewards are minimal and you would need a fairly sleek plane to do that. speed. Nev

• Agree 1

My response is probably a little tangential to your question but I had an opportunity to compare a Prince P tip propeller against an efficient wood fixed pitch propeller on my Varieze. The Varieze uses a Continental O200 engine producing 105 hp as set up. I operated off a short strip, 3,000' above sea level, with power lines at the Northern end, that was challenging during summer when air density was low. An in-flight adjustable propeller was out of the question because of CofG issues. The Prince P tip is a fixed pitch composite propeller. The manufacturer claims it changes pitch by up to 4 inches between take off and cruise because of the tip and shape of the propeller. The Prince propeller, which had a slightly finer pitch to the wood propeller, certainly got me off the ground quicker and climb was good compared to the wood propeller. In cruise the Prince P propeller matched the wood propeller. The Prince P tip and wood propellers both came with the aircraft so I wasn't emotionally invested in either. I simply wanted the best outcome. Stevron, an option perhaps?

• Informative 1