Hi from Cranbourne

Guest ashkusko

Guest ashkusko

Hi everyone,

I'm Ash and from Cranbourne Victoria AUS.

Looking to get back into flying after obtaining my GFPT in 2001.

Unfortunately though for me, my log book was destroyed somewhere over the past 17 years, so it looks like I am starting again from scratch.

Happy flying

Your GFPT will get you an RPL with a little bit of paperwork so saves doing a test at the end of your refresher training, just a flight review. Absence of a logbook after all that time doesn’t matter at all.

One of my friends was in a similar situation except that he had his logbook but no-one was interested in the contents.

Guest ashkusko
Your GFPT will get you an RPL with a little bit of paperwork so saves doing a test at the end of your refresher training, just a flight review. Absence of a logbook after all that time doesn’t matter at all.One of my friends was in a similar situation except that he had his logbook but no-one was interested in the contents.

Thanks for the advice. I have called and written to CASA, and they have a record of my ARN, but for whatever reason, no record of my GFPT. I have tried contacting my old flight school to see if they also have a record, but I believe SAS at Moorabbin are now CAE Oxford and my flying was from 2000-2001, so not looking likely. The issue for me is around proof. I had approx 35-40 hours, including 1-2 dual nav cross-countries, but no real evidence to back up my claims.

The GFPT should’ve been notified to CASA back then so, I agree, the logbook would be very useful especially as it should have the GFPT sticker in it. No reason for a school to keep training records for that long, perhaps your logbook was left at SAS so an extremely small chance that it is buried somewhere. Recall names of any instructors?

Looks like you’ll have to start from scratch and notch up the minimum hours at least.

Guest ashkusko

The log book was damaged by flooding when in storage, and most likely taken to the tip with all the other boxes destroyed at the time. So 99.9% positive it wasn't left at SAS. I only ever had the one instructor as I flew through the Scouts Association, however when trying to look him up it appears that he sadly passed away in 2014. I have also tried the Scouts and to their credit they are going to have a look when their person in charge gets back from leave. Ironically, the only place that has my GFPT listed is on an historic "oldscouts" webpage congratulating all who passed their RPL/GFPT through the association.

You had a first class instructor in Alf! One of my students is listed on that old page too. It would've been at GFS then - training records were in the Scouts filing cabinet so perhaps the filing cabinet is still with someone or at MFS (or even at Oxford)- worth asking around? I'll make some enquiries.

Do you remember who did your GFPT test?

Guest ashkusko
You had a first class instructor in Alf! One of my students is listed on that old page too. It would've been at GFS then - training records were in the Scouts filing cabinet so perhaps the filing cabinet is still with someone or at MFS (or even at Oxford)- worth asking around? I'll make some enquiries.Do you remember who did your GFPT test?

Thank would be amazing. Alf was fantastic, unfortunately it wasn't until I tried looking him up recently that I found out how accomplished he actually was.

I don't remember who did the test, all i remember was doing it at SAS and one of the verbal questions was about two student pilots flying together; some part of the flight must take place outside of the training area.