757 Bird Strike video

dlps73

WOW, how lucky to get it all, plus the radio, on tape. Shows how professional those guys are. I thought the fire personell were a bit on the slow side, especially the two who were more interested in looking at the engine damage. They would have seen more from the rear of the engine anyway.

Procedure

I'm wondering if the pilot called it right

Should he called PAN PAN PAN

or MAYDAY.

IMO it was a Pan pan not mayday or am I barking up the wrong tree

I'm a bit sceptically of how these types of footage get obtained participle with Audio(Radio in this case)

IN other words was it real

There just happened to be someone there with a Video camera

Or are all Takeoffs videoed??

I know in radio stations audio is recorded as it goes to air I would assume ATC radio would be the same

BUT Video???

Nev,

I doubt that it's fake as it made it onto tv the same day together with out-takes of the same video.

As for Pan or Mayday, I think he made the right call at the time although, perhaps it should have been a Pan. The Mayday would certainly have got everyones attention and I would have called the same.

Guest J430

Ok just to quell the mysteries a little. I don't know the guy who cut the video, but I know a guy who does......long bow but!

Apparently he is a fairly well known plane spotter, enthusiast and he has a receiver, pretty damn easy to video all that and if you can follow the radio handovers, you can tune in for app tower dep....whatever.

yes he got lucky with that one capture. And I bet he was famous for a while.

SO yes it was real.

J:)

I believe the mayday was the correct call. Remember, the pilot didn't know it was a bird strike up until ATC told him so. So all he saw was a loss of engine power and a fire warning, I too would call a mayday very quickly. I have the theory book here somewhere describing when to call a pan or mayday, if I find it I will let you know.

Guest brentc

In General terms a Mayday call is one where you WILL most likely come to grief, possibly in a short timeframe. Eg, the loss of one engine and you are unable to maintain height, out of fuel, engine failure.

A PAN PAN is more along the lines of you MIGHT come to grief, in particular if you keep going. Eg, engine losing power slightly, rough running, low on light and you need to do a prec-search, severe carby ice, etc.

Until recently I would have thought that a Pan Pan would get a similar response from ATC to a Mayday. I was quite mistaken. I heard a student pilot on solo nav in a 152 call a Pan Pan because he had a poorly running engine due to carby ice. All that ATC said was to 'try carby heat,' and then proceeded talking to a Qantas aircraft and that's all that was heard again. I later heard the aircraft on CTAF and he was ok.

I learnt from that, if you need assistance, call Mayday and you're guaranteed to get it!

That's the practical sense, however there was documented procedures for the use of Pan vs Mayday so hopefully someone can post them here for us.

Ok, this is straight out of my BAK study guide, it applies more to single engine light aircraft, but it gives you a better idea of what to use and when.

Mayday

Probably the most obvious example of an emergency in a light single engine aircraft is engine failure. In this situation the pilot has limited time available to call for help. To indicate the message is vital, the transmission is prefixed with the word 'MAYDAY' spoken three times.

The official content of a distress message is located at the back of an ERSA.

Pan-Pan

Not all emergency situations place the aircraft in grave and imminent danger. Sometimes, an immediate landing may become the best option due to environmental conditions like smoke, dust or bad weather. Also a pilot who has become lost or is running low on fuel or daylight might consider the option of landing.

If such a landing cannot be made on a properly prepared aerodrome, it makes sense to advise the nearest Flight Service or ATC station. An urgency message could also be given if a passenger becomes seriously ill and requires medical attention after landing, or the pilot becomes aware of people, other than the occupants of his/her aircraft who require immediate assistance (eg a boat in distress).

-----------

So I guess you can say a Mayday is used when the aircraft is in danger, so in the case of the thompson flight, the one engine was off, placing increased stress on the second, which they did mention when on the ground, so the aircraft is in danger. Whereas a pan-pan is used when the situation is not endangering the aircraft or its occupants and that the aircraft needs generally a higher level of watch from ATC in case something had to develop further.