Whitney Boomerang aircraft

Guest colt_pa22

I saw the partly completed aeroplane at Avalon. Bill Whitney is a highly competent engineer and it looks like a sensible design.

Direct competitor is the new Alpha 120T from New Zealand.

The world has more good aeroplane designs than there are successful aeroplane manufacturing ventures. I wish them luck.

Guest Ultralights

i have heard of it, but never sen it, looks like a cross between a Piper Tomahawk and a C150!

i do think the market is starting to get a little overcrowded! there are now quite a few choices in this catagorie, and not really large numbers of each type flying except the Jabiru, which basically started the catagorie in OZ.

Guest colt_pa22

The Jabiru is quite popular around our area with over 5 aircraft in the district and two at Romsey airfield where I fly. I would have thought that the operating cost of the Boomerang with a 0-235 lycoming would be higher than the Jabiru or gazelle, but initially lower than the PA-38 or C150/2. It is very similar to the Piper Tomahawk even down to the V braces located under the back window and spring steel landing gear.

Is it not the trend in today's environment that more flying schools are acquiring Jabirus and gazelles or similar fitted with economical and advanced rotax engines to their fleet, whereby reducing the overall cost of flight training for students, and turning away from much older traditional training aircraft such as the C-150/2 and PA-38?

colt

Guest Ultralights

i thinks its a combination of both CASA over regulation of GA, and the cheap purchase and maintaience cost of the next generation. from what i have seen of the newer aircraft in the sky, is a majority are registered with the RAA and not VH.

Guest Glenn

There's also a warbird called a Boomerang. Just learned today that a club member is building a plane from scratch and there maybe plans to make them into kits. I can't say too much about it though.