New to Lilydale / Coldstream

Mriya

G'day all,

To introduce myself, I hold a student licence with RAAus and have had a great time so far training in a Jabiru at The Oaks, training with John & Dave since last July. I have currently clocked up about 15 hrs flying time with them while I was living at Camden. I was able to do my first full nav exercise from The Oaks with Dave just before Christmas.

A 'career change' of sorts has seen me move 'South of the border' in the last few weeks though!

From February 08 I will be 'based' at Coldstream Airport as an Engineering Instructor, assisting with the engineering training programme at the Mission Aviation Centre located there. I suspect this new role is going to keep me busy for some time, however I am keen to complete my RAAus Pilot Licence as soon as time permits. Not having lived in VIC before I have no idea of what options exist in my new area for completing my training. Does anyone have recommendations / tips on the options that may exist for completing this training close to me.

Also, I am aware that some Ultralight activity occurs at Coldstream, and so would love to meet any one else who flys from there. Send me a reply, or just drop in and ask for Justin at 'MAC' from next week. (4-2-08)

Regards.

Hi Justin

Welcome to the forum and to the area. Plenty of options around here for flying.

This side of town. Lilydale has 2 Jabiru J160's.

Tooradin has lots of Jabirus. 2x LSA55s, 2x J160s, 2 brand new full glass cockpit J170s, 1x FlySynthesis Texan.

Drop me a PM and we'll catch up and discuss further....

Regards

Phil

Welcome to one of the most beautiful places in Australia...I think you will love it here.

I fly (or will be very shortly) out of Lilydale Airfield, so being a newbie cant really comment on much, just wanted to welcome you to the locale. Enjoy!

Brodie

There are several schools in your area as noted above. My advice is to carefully check the credentials of the school that you intend to train with.

eg.

- Instructor experience

- Aircraft condition

- Who maintains the aircraft, LAME or Level 2

- How many students have obtained their certificate at the school

- How long has it been operating for

Stuff like that.

Good luck.

G'day Justin,

Welcome to the area. I await delivery of my new J120 currently on order from Jabiru and have been discussing hangaring at Coldstream. I have been doing my training at Tooradin Flying School and can give them the thumbs up. Lilydale will however only be 5 minutes from Coldstream, so suggest you follow Brent's advice and make your decision accordingly. I may poke my head in the door to see how you're doing at Coldstream sometime.

I also see a response from Phil here......G'day mate! Trust you're racking up the hours.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Justin, I think you're leaving a great place (Dave's flying school at "The Oaks") and heading for a great place (Coldstream). I did my GA to RA conversion with John and Dave and now have a jab I keep at "The Oaks" (you may have seen it "55-1837"). Always good people around the place and when I go out for a quick fly, generally end up finding the whole day has gone before I get home.... that's just the way it is.... and they are great days!

Anyway, I travel to Melbourne a fair bit and when I take the jab I park it at Coldstream. Once again I've found everyone to be pretty friendly. I'm not sure if there is RA training there. I think it is GA through Royal Vic Aero Club... but talk to Bob when you get there. It's a nice place to fly from. (Only thing is I'm always thinking about my prop and the stones as there are no sealed areas on the taxiways if you have to hold). Always hear heaps of Jabs on the CTAF training out of Lilydale which, as Snooky said, is about 5 mins up the road.

Good luck for your new adventure... I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm down there... if you see "55-1837" come over and say g'day... in the meantime look forward to hearing how it all pans out on the forum.

Regards

No RA training out of coldstream, just lilydale.

Lilydale has a nice grass runway whereas coldstream has a gravel runway. They did try Evektor sportstars at coldstream but after a few weeks had issues with gravel punching holes in the leading edges of the horizontal stab according to 1 of the instructors I spoke to out there.

Hi Glenn, glad to see you found your way onto the forum here....yes mate, I'm building some hours, bit slowly at the moment though...

Regards

Phil