Qantas Dash 8-400

Guest Chainsaw

Guest WillMikoyan

Are you sure you've t seen the A380?

Marcel Dassault once said something along the lines of "If an airplane is not good-looking it will not fly well".

Guest WillMikoyan

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess... But it really isnt that nice looking, i suppose it will get the job done though.

I reckon the -Q400 looks pretty good (Like a 'Stick Insect'), the A380 though looks un appealing is quite a noticable aircraft, and too be honest, I quite like the look of the thing. That new 747 Freighter, looks ugly at first but I am sure it will grow.

Guest Chainsaw

Time: 1:20pm Monday 4 September

I was just sitting out the back when I head a Dash 8 heading out of YSSY. It didnt sound quite right. I looked up and there it was the Dash 8-400!! leaving Sydney.

Talk about timing... 8)

From your Sydney correspondant

Chainy

Guest Cat on a PC©
Marcel Dassault once said something along the lines of "If an airplane is not good-looking it will not fly well".

The Short Bros weren't listening.

Guest Chainsaw

Just read this on another forum...WOW...passed a 737 NO WAY!!

I was talking to one of my mates at Eastern's this morning and he told me of the first Q400 flight to Canberra yesterday. Apparently the departure clearance required it make a right turn at 4000' after take off; it duly trundled out to the threshold with 69 pax (I don't know which runway), took off and made the turn well before reaching the upwind end of the runway. It then climbed and settled into the cruise, in the process overtaking the 737 that had departed before it. Six minutes after reaching cruising altitude top of descent was called, with the F/As having served only half the cabin with refreshments.I wonder if the Captain or F/O had time to make a PA announcement.

Guest Cat on a PC©
. . . Apparently the departure clearance required it make a right turn at 4000' after take off; it duly trundled out to the threshold with 69 pax (I don't know which runway), took off and made the turn well before reaching the upwind end of the runway.

What the . . ????

Was the turn to be executed at four thousand feet or four hundred feet?

What'd they do? Strap afterburners on the Q400? 4000 feet before reaching the opposite threshold??!! What was mixed in this writer's beer? Jet A1?

Guest Chainsaw

Cat, I just drove past the airport and I saw this red and white blurrr. I can confirm that it turned with a massive afterburner flame out each engine. I sure it must have been doing over Mach 2 by the time it reached 4,000 ft. So at what height did it turn, 400 or 4,000, the answer given the above is YES...from 400 to 4,000!!...didnt take long.

That thing is a rocket mate.

If......all or any of the above is true :shock:

Guest Chainsaw

Maybe so Will :D, but this thing really does move for a prop, a 6 bladed one at that.

Im sure I did see it take off a while ago and it climbed rather quick, and looked like it turned at 400ft off Runway 16 Right (YSSY).

Its ugly, but quick.

Guest WillMikoyan
Its ugly, but quick.

I'm starting to come around on this one, the more i see it the more i think it looks interesting, rather than staight out ugly like the A380.

I would have thought take off performeance would be slightly less given the size, but I suppos ethe engines would be bigger than on the smaller dashs.