United Airlines UA 840

Tim E

Hi all! One of my favourite flights . ... as its one of the few big birds to flyover here on Mel-Syd routes and I just love the livery shining on a blue sky day.

As far as I am aware, United has two liveries?... The Grey on top and blue undernetah and a blue and white livery? Todays flight (if I spotted correctly here in Moyhu, King Valley) had a red body. Is this a new livery or was it using another plane for some reason? Any Melb or Syd spotters notice? It left Mel early according to Melair.com at 11.40 (Sch 11.55) and flew over Wangaratta here at 12.05 so the times matched spot on for me and it was a big bird. Thanks in anticipation of any info on this one Tim :D

Have been adviseed it was Wunala Dreaming..the thought had crossed my mind but didnt know what route it was flying/ operating on.. Melair had it departing at SCH 11.20 and EST as 11.28..usually it takes about 26 minutes from EST time to here but must have been delayed on tarmac for a few minutes as only appeared here at 12.05..about 37 minutes later..still that solves the ID ..nice to see Wunala flying over here.

I'm assuming EST is pushback time and not actual lift off time? :?:

Hi Tim,

The grey is being fazed out and replaced with the blue and white livery.

UA840 in the new livery was in at melbourne today, bloody big bugger was in my way when i was trying to get over the other side of the apron had to wait 10 minutes for it !!!

Hi Robbo..thanks for that info..yes it is a big one..can understand why you waited..wouldnt want that big one trundling over the top of you.one flattened tug and one flattened Robbo! Should hear the sound over here...very distinctive compared to the 737's and Airbus 320's etc that flyover..a deep guttural roar and the distinctive vapour trails of course!

Next time could your ask the captain if he has any room for a passenger keen to get to the USA but hasn't got the fare yet? Would it help if you told him I was a fan of UA 840? [-o<

Hey Robbo..thats a great idea. =D> Have always wanted to fly on it..wonder if their tickets are cheap just for that leg if they are trying to fill seats..might get online and check their site..Thanks mate..yes fly to SYD on UA 840, spend an arvo in Syd and get a cheap fare home on another airline..or stay overnight and fly it as UA 839 back to Mel in morning..think thats its number coming reverse way. Great idea Robbo..Ta :D

Hi Ian..yes I encountered a problem when looking up the flight..not sure they will allow one to fly Mel-Syd as a domestic sector..have to be booked on as an international passenger I'm thinking from what the site kept throwing back at me. It kept trying to book me through to Auckland (though the flight doesn't go there I dont think) and kept charging me $2945..the full fare to the USA.

Yes the thought about its international status occurred to me when I was thinking about it when I went for my walk tonight. Its really an international flight and they may not allow a domestic passenger en route. Sad to see all those empty seats though..when there is a chap here who wouldn't mind one !LOL :lol: Thanks Ian Tim :)

Wonder if they would let you fly the sector Mel -Syd ? Guess I wouldnt mind the security/passport/customs just to fly the plane and the experience.Wonder if they would charge a competeitive price? Have e mailed them to see their response. :)

Great..I will give it a try Robbo... 8) ..thanks...any suggestions on how to book other than a normal travel agency? Do UA have a desk at the airport? (I might be out there next week).

I might see if UA have an agency here in Melbourne as the internet site doesnt appear all that user friendly for bookings from Aussie...if the prices were comparable to JQ or DJ I'd give it a go..you'd reckon they would be competitive to fill up their seats a bit wouldnt you on an otherwise light sector.

Got my passport at the ready! Just need the lotto win now! :lol:

UA 839 (tomorrow's UA 840) heading for Syd-Mel is on its way across the ocean as per normal . Todays UA 840 is stuck in Sydney. Guess they would fly both flights tomorrow if plane fixed and ready to go...the one from Mel as per usual UA 840 and the one from Sydney. Wonder what they will call the Syd-Lax flight UA 841 mayhap? :?:

Guest Chainsaw
UA 839 (tomorrow's UA 840) heading for Syd-Mel is on its way across the ocean as per normal . Todays UA 840 is stuck in Sydney. Guess they would fly both flights tomorrow if plane fixed and ready to go...the one from Mel as per usual UA 840 and the one from Sydney. Wonder what they will call the Syd-Lax flight UA 841 mayhap? :?:

With their problems, lets hope they don't call it UA911 :shock: