Single contrail

Tim E

Just had an overfly.up here in North East Vic at 11.05-11.10 a.m. looked like a QF..hard to tell as sunlight was bouncing off the aircraft..thought it might have been QF 424 or QF 426 from Mel-Sydney but it was about 10 minutes either side of when I would have expected those flights. I did Melair flight radar check which didnt help any further..but what was interesting was it only had one contrail..is this usual? It was from RHS..too hard to identify plane type with sun gleaming off it. Was wondering why only one contrail? Can anyone help on this one? Cheers Tim :)

LOL..yes Chainsaw you are right!LOL...checked Melair flight radar and flight info but one plane looked a bit furhter north and the other a bit south to be the one,...and the flight info times didnt quite match up unless plane had a bit of time sitting on the runway or taxiway before takeoff.

Must get that Planeplotter!..I'll have to teach a course on aviation related matters here at school so the computer guys will let me install it.

Believe it or not I actually wrote up a possible business course related to aviation etc..not sure if it will get up as a course next year or not. It was proposed an an elective for Year 10 students wanting to learn a bit about business but not wanting to get too tied down in textbook theory but rather a more hands on/ interst based approach using aviation as a core. :)

JUst got the stereo effect here..was watching a domestic flight here (probabaly QF to Canberra) and enjoying the sound effects but heard a slightly different sound in my left ear..it was UA 840 heading to Sydney..both planes neck and neck but UA slightly north. Looked like the concluding part of an air race like they had at Laverton in the old days! Got 6 contrails this time with the 4 plus 2!

P.S I have seen a flight path chart my brother had at one stage. I'm assuming the Mel Syd and Mel Canberra flights track same path but the Canberra ones diverge onto a diferent path not long after passing Albury? Can anyone help with that info? Ta Tim :)

Thanks Robbo..could well be the answer..was wondering why that would happen with two engines so close together? I can understand two planes close together but at different heights... Was an interesting sight..wish I had a camera handy to take a shot shot for you guys and gals. :)