Do Commercial Aviation trip reports interest you?

Guest Fred Bear

Do commercial aviation trip reports interest you?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do commercial aviation trip reports interest you?

• Yes, keep them coming!
    • Yes, keep them coming but keep them in the general discussion thread
    • No, I could not care less about these types of trip reports

Guest Fred Bear

Guys,

With the latest about some wanting to read commercial aviation trip reports and others interested in only reading recreational aviation trip reports, I would love to conduct a poll and see exactly who is interested in reading and seeing pics of commercial aviation trip reports and who is not. The reason being:

i) If nobody is interested in reading commercial aviation trip reports, why use Ians bandwidth?

ii) For myself so I am not wasting my time posting them (I already have RSI from typing)

It is understood now that i) commercial aviation trip reports stay in the general discussion thread and ii) recreational aviation trip reports stay in the trip report thread.

Just trying to keep everyone happy here. These are forums so people should be able to better chose what they do/don't want to read. Just trying to gauge the interest level here that's all.

Guest airsick

I didn't vote because...

In general I find commercial flights boring. I, and others here I am sure, do them on a fairly regular basis and as fas as I am concerned they may as well be bus rides. We get on, look for our seat, buckle up and go. At the other end the process is reversed. It may as well be a production line - once you get over the novelty factor it just becomes a well rehearsed process with little or no excitement worth telling others about.

Having said that if something interesting was to occur then that would be different. A few weeks after the BA flight landed short at Heathrow (036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif) I found out I knew someone on the flight. I was particularly interested in hearing his story and seeing his snaps (I know I will get asked so I have attached one here).

So, my take is this. Tell us about interesting flying experiences ;) but leave the bus trips :;)1: for boring family slide nights.

IMG_0090_7.JPG.5b191abe0ab2710d5c6ea16c482b3358.JPG

Guest Fred Bear

Hmm, well the poll shows they are running about even at the moment. I will let it go a week before making a decision. That's the beauty of a poll. Back to what I was saying before, if the reports are labeled 'commercial aviation trip report' and those that do not wish to read it don't. How's that sound? Now if someone were to go in and leave a smug comment (when they can already see by the title it is something that would not interest them) would you not call that plain stupid? I would.

Guest airsick

I still question the value in posting these things in the first place. Let's say I jump on a bus and go to Sydney. While I am there I visit the aquarium, go to Centrepoint tower and do some shopping. I then jump on the bus and go home. I have a whale of a time but it isn't really relevant here.

The following weekend I do it all again but this time I jump on a Dash 8 from Canberra to get there and back. How is that interesting? It isn't, the only difference is that the plane went through the air instead of going along the road (or along a conveyor belt :)).

For the third weekend running I go to Sydney. On this occassion I go by air again only this time the Roulettes are doing loops over Canberra when I am coming home and we get delayed but I shoot some photos out the window of a PC9 upside down over Black Mountain. Now that's interesting.

Or I flew to Sydney to pick up my new Tecnam. Or I was flying to Oshkosh. Or I went to Ian's place to take a spin in his new Millenium (hint hint ;)). Also interesting.

Millions of people fly commercial bus lines everyday and very few of them have anything interesting to say. Why would we want to bore people here with similar stories of non-eventful trips away?

Remember, rarely are the trip reports about the destination (except as above when you go to Oshkosh, etc), they tend to be about the journey. Journies are interesting when you are doing more than just sitting there watching clouds go by.

Interesting (in the context of flying) should be the key word. Flew through a thunderstorm? Interesting! Routine flight? Boring!

Just my thoughts...

Guest Fred Bear

That's your opinion and that is fair enough. It's not mine so let's agree to disagree this time shall we? :)

PS I question the value of alot of posts on here of late. I think people still miss the point I am trying to make. If I think a certain post will not interest me I don't read it. I certainly don't comment on it.

Guest airsick

It's fair enough to disagree, this is a forum after all, not a dictator ship! :)

But the fact that there are a lot of questionable posts in terms of value doesn't justify posting more of the same.

You're right though. I don't find these sorts of things interesting but others may.

I thought I'd post this before I voted in the poll. As far as a general plane ride goes, no bumps and clear blue skies, I'd rather just watch the world go by than write a report.

In this instance I agree with both Darren and Airsick. Wont look or comment and find it boring.

However, I've just had a trip to Townsville and the weather was spectacular at 40,000 feet and the floods up there were something else !!

I took lots of photos on the way up when we weren't in cloud (at 40,000) and I found it a great learning experience.

Trip home was basically a bus ride and I watched rally driving and cricket on the idiot box. (Virgin Blue)

My thoughts were to do a write up but after seeing this thread I feel a little deflated and think I may well be wasting my time.

I'll go and vote now. I'll make a decision on a write up after that...

Regards

Phil

Guest David C

Flyer ,

I say go ahead and make your trip report . The poll shows that 46% of us or thereabouts enjoy reading them . I think the old saying prevails here," if you don't like the content , just don't open it !! " ... I for one look forward to your report .

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear
Just post it as was suggested Phil - in the general discussion forum and marked as an RPT trip. Great aerial photos are always worth a peek.The whole discussion is moot for me anyway. I have to read every post - it's my job.

Ross, the reason I enjoy posting them is mostly due to the aerial photos. It's obvious these do not interest some...anyhooooo, some lovely views of Canberra this afternoon on the way home. Camera was packed away downstairs somewhere though so no go this time. I will not bore anyone with a trip report ;) I have an acid tongue sometimes...

Further, as I said, I will await the result after a week. If the general population on these forums don't want them, I won't waste my time. I will post them where they will be read.

Guest Fred Bear
Hey Phil were there any Meter Maids in Townsville to photograph?;)Decca.

Trust you old mate :big_grin: C'mon, the trip report was surely worth it for the Meter Maids right? I guess it depends on one's orientation if ya know what I mean but they work for me. Got to go, Emma is slapping me across the head.

Someone mentioned bus trips, totally agree with whoever it was. Unless there was a mid air disaster and you (Not you Darren :-) but the writer) managed to survive and write about it maybe, but otherwise passenger trip reports on airliners are about as fun as watching paint dry. I mean it is different if you're sitting up the front perhaps but yeah.

Guest Fred Bear

Exactly and point taken. That's why I will not post them on here anymore. No malice, no hard feelings. I will post my rec flying ones (and maybe not even them if my hand is too sore). Ian, you may delete this thread if you will mate to save bandwidth. No point keeping it. Just wanted to know the numbers that were interested/not interested in reading these reports. Less time at the keyboard=more time with the family.

Daz,

Mate it's nothing personal, please and I beg you please keep up the stories on your own flights, they are great reads. I must admit I did read your commercial trip report, found it quite engaging, when I got to the end I sorta thought "hang on that was like reading about going for a ride on a bus, but with wings." But I still read it so I'm a goose. I know you o or used to frequent the YSSY Message Boards, they might find it more interesting.

I'll happily read anything on this site. I find it interesting to read about places that I haven't been to that I might be interested in going to etc. If everyone posted something about their trips assuming they don't happen every week then we might all learn something.

Guest Fred Bear

Thanks for the comments guys. Nothing personally taken (or however you say it) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I still have a deal of pain in the right hand after my little 'incident' and after typing half a page or so I feel the effects. I do frequent another forum based on the 'commercial' side of things and post the reports on there. There are alot of us 'jet heads' on there so it works well. YSSY board, mate, I would not touch that with your keyboard 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Let's just say we had some 'issues' there and it was a mutual decision to say goodbye. I will continue to post rec ones here (probably not all that long until this hand heals), if it ever does. Stay tuned for them. I have to get down to The Oaks in order to post them though. Someone needs to give me a little encouragement for that.