BIG NEWS!! Im about to BURST....

Guest OzChris

Guest OzChris

I just got accepted into Aviation Rescue & Fire Fighting (ARFF)!

Airservices Australia Recruit courses for 2009 for ARFF is still to be announced, but I am one of the 15 (or so) people they have selected in Melbourne to be put onto the list of recruits for one of the courses running next year.

This will mean 8 weeks of intensive training at Tulla, which is a 'live in' arrangement, with other recruits from accros Australia. Then after successful completion, a placement at Tullamarine Airport Fire Station.

Pretty cool shifts too:

The shifts are 2 days on @ 10hrs & 10hrs, then 2 nights on @ 14hrs (o/night) & 14hrs (o/night) and then 4 days off. That way you are pretty much able to know your work days for the whole year!

So happy :biggrin: and very excited! :1244::1244::1244::1244::1244:

I just have to wait now to hear when in '09 my course will begin, and I still have to do the medical - but that should be ok as I currently hold an Aviation Medical.

Guest OzChris
Congrats mate. Was it something you have been wanting to do for a while or was it something you just thought you would give it a go?

Many years ago, as part of my Qantas Cabin Crew training at Tulla, I attended a day at the Fire station. I was in awe of the station and all they did - since that day I had it in the back of my head that I would love the opportunity to do that one day...

When I saw the advert to apply for ARFF I took up the challenge. Spent 12 weeks getting fitter, and tried out. So its been a long term goal that I have only just put into action.

• 1 month later...
Guest OzChris

Just got news from Airservices Australia today, that I start my training in February in about 3 weeks!

Very excited - can't wait!!

Still have to do my medical though...so Im hoping no probs there :eusa_pray:

Guest OzChris
Good on ya mate :) I suppose you are going to have to start packing then?

We are staying where we are and Im going to commute. We have our Counselling Practice established here, so I will go part time in it and my wife will go full(er) time...but its only 1.2hrs to Tulla, so that's do-able.

Guest Darren Masters

Excellent news Chris :biggrin: It will all be very exciting for you mate. I doubt you would have problems with the medical. You will be fine. I have heard that line somewhere before...:biggrin: Again, congrats mate.

Guest OzChris

This medical will be one of the hardest I have had to do, with ECG, blood tests, lung functionality, and so on...

I have to fast for 12 hours before hand too...I might not make it - I do like to eat :]

Guest g_i_jack029

WOW chris, congrats mate, one of the many things i want to achieve in my aviation related career. And i hope you will never need to use you skills!!!!

that will be so cool!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OzChris

My official start date is this Monday 9th Feb...Im in ARFF Recruit course 72

I CANT WAIT!!

I have 8 weeks of intensive training - I will try to report on my progress as I go, for those interested :]

Guest Darren Masters
I have a bigger hose

Gee :eek::confused:

Good luck Chris. Do keep us all posted. I am very interested in hearing about what you are doing.