Different Landing Gear Angle

Uncle Chop Chop

I was browsing throught Jet Photos and found 2 pictures. The 1st Picture is of the 2nd Qantas A380 on finals for Sydney International Airport. The main landing gear is angled forwards. The 2nd picture is of a Qantas Boeing 747-400 . The landing gear is angles backwards.

Now I know they are completly different Aircraft with different manufacturers and designs but why would the A380's landing gear be angled forward? On a hard landing wouldn't there be a risk of the landing gear tipping forward and actually breaking?

Qantas A380

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=2262086

Qantas Boeing 747-400

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6438084&nseq=4

Both aircraft look to be at different angles. A380 appears to me is landing and the 747 is taking off. Could just be the different angle of attack having different effects to the gear

The Bogeys pivot.

Tires roll, so when the wheel touches down they spin on their axles and as the aircraft settles down onto the runway, the bogeys pivot happily on their "axle". There is no real great drag on the leg.

To HIT the ground hard enough for the A380 U/C to tip would have the floor of the second storey of the cabin getting worn out along the runway in a spectacular shower of sparkes.

All large aircraft have so much momentum that they have to be flanded very gently and if they touch down while sinking surprisingly gently for what they can safely sink at in flight, you will have the undercarriage fail, so it doesn't matter which way they droop.

Guest David C

Different aircraft types have different angles to their main landing bogies .... Why ??? ... I've no idea .. Take for example the 767 . The main bogies are angled forward , but the 747 is angled backwards . Incidentally , talking to 767 jockies , they all say that the 767 is easy to land but difficult to land well , and they all say it's due to the angle of the main wheel bogie ..

Dave C