Best First Headset

Guest chocky005

Guest chocky005

Hi All

I've just started to learn how to fly in a PA 28. I have completed 6 lessons at RAVC in Moorabbin and looking to get my own headset instead of using the schools. I've been looking around and found this deal from XCOM but I have not been able to find any independent reviews on the xcom headsets. Can anyone let me know how they are? I'm only looking to get up to PPL level.

Hi Chocky RVAC is a good club, I know Joe Ferlazzo there.... Couple of members here are from YMMB in fact one is an instructor with General Flying Services and he has an xcom and could not be happier with it, I will be getting the xcom in the next few days just waiting on my new credit card to arrive :)

I bought an XCOM as a spare/loaner unit so only used it a few times myself. Flew with it today for a few hours in a Bonanza & Decathlon. Works fine. I have a 20 year old DC that I normally use (one replacement mic and new earseals, not DC parts though, in that time). Trim on the XCOM doesn't seem as robust as the DC but that remains to be seen.

The knobs on the XCOM confuse me (I'm easily confused) - one knob controls the volume and I always seem to turn it the wrong way. The other knob simply controls audio to the RHS earpiece despite greater motion which suggests a volume control as well but its not.

Seems to work as well as my old DC H10-40.

For the price, the XCOM is marvellous.

Perhaps I could show it to you at MB sometime.

Hi Chocky,

I've also just had my sixth lesson on the way to my PPL (hopefully), and am looking at the XCom as well. It looks like very good value. Thanks to those who replied so far. Any other opinions or recommendations for the XCom or any other good basic headset would be much appreciated.

Robert

RACWA

Guest Michael Coates

XCOM Headset "Manual" Will give you some information

Thank you for your purchase of the XCOM headsets which are available in either conventional GA two plug version or the optional single plug unit with curly cord suitable for helicopter installations.

These headsets are a copy of the very popular David Clarke 13.4 models and should give you years of service and enjoyment. We are so confident in these headsets that we offer you a two-year warranty for either private or commercial use.

Operation of the headsets is very straightforward, simply plug the microphone plug and the headset plug into the aircraft jacks and make sure they are seated all the way otherwise you may not get correct operation.

Place the headsets over your head and adjust the position of the earcups to match the location of your ears, position the microphone in front of your mouth approximately 15 mm away from your lips.

The only controls on the headsets are a volume knob which is located on the same ear cup as the microphone and cord attach to and a stereo mono switch which is placed on the opposite ear cup.

For correct operation select stereo or mono as required in your installation and for best audio results turn the volume of the headsets up to the maximum. To obtain a comfortable listing level then adjust your radio or intercom volume to the desired level.

Like anything mechanical care is required when handling your headsets, please do not carry the headsets by the cord, and do not use any solvents to clean the headsets. If the headsets require cleaning just use soapy water sparingly.

Not all heads are the same size so if the headsets feel a little tight on your head simply grab the headset band in the middle and open the distance between the ear cups by bending the middle of the headset band to get the desired pressure level.

Specifications

• Soft silicone gel filled earcups

• Stereo and mono operation

• Gold plated Headphone and Microphone plugs

• Metal swivel gooseneck and metal microphone boom

• Extremely light and strong at only 15oz

• Excellent passive noise reduction rating of 27dB

• Clear frequency response of 20-17,000Hz distortion free through entire range

• Adjustable open foam cushioned headband

• Quick response electret microphone with wind muff

• Noise cancelling filter amplified electret microphone

Guest chocky005

Hi All

FYI I got the head sets and tested them a few times and they seem really good. Well better then the schools at least. They do look a little cheaper than the DC's but seem to work just as well.

For the Price I think they are a good buy. Just need to find a bag for them now.

I'm really stingy when it comes to bags. $6 at Kmart will get a really swish lunchbag. Extra pocket to hold your fuel drainer. Of course, all the professional pilots laugh at me but I tell them the reason is security - thieves think its my lunch not a headset in there.

I will buy myself a real one soon though.

Guest Michael Coates

I use the padded (insulated) luchbags for tool pouches, with the padding they wont damage anything inside your plane, being small they stop you from taking too much only problem is the zips give out after a few uses so buy the $4 one rather than the $2 unit because the real difference is the zips.