International flight id

Tim E

Yep..think that was the reason! Got my proper binocs out (without the tint!) this time too..beaut clear blue sky day up here!..at least UA 840 overflew and looked good in the blue sky and sun!

Seems this wasn't a once-off.

Just sighted agian on PP, VN780 having just taken a turn to the right heading North-East instead of North-West(direct route), tracking at 62degrees over Swan Hill (Vic) at 170kts.

Same path as 8 days ago.

Chasing a wind perhaps?

-Adam

Speaking of VN 780:Thursday's flight out of Melbourne was all tracking fine on its usual path just west of Bendigo, heading N/W over Mildura and beyond; until I noticed that it started banking east and was last seen on the radar tracking N/E over Kerang at 'reportedly' 150kts.

Doesn't quite seem right, I would like to think that radar was showing incorrect info....unless this flight was chasing some wind?

Anyway flightstats.com is listing the flight's status as 'uknown'.

I forgot to check SGN's website for any arrival info.

Obviously the plane didn't crash as it would have been in the news, however I'd be interested to find out which path this flight flew once it crossed the Vic/NSW border.

Is there any way to find out online?

Cheers

Don't know how I missed this thread but I took this photo at Boort on 2nd May. The time was 11.34. It looks like Air VietNam to me. Is this the aircraft you saw?(see link below) Also notice the different coloured engines.

It would have been flying appx 300 degrees. I dont know which way it flew after this as we were next to some trees but if it flew near to Wangaratta it must have made a drastic change of direction.

http://theaussieaviator.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3186

Good find VH....seems to suggest the one I saw wasnt Air Vietnam though lots of things seemed to co -incide..colours and time..the plane that overflew here seemed headed directly to Sydney and was followed almost exactly 5 minutes later by UA 840....from memory it was around 11.35-11.45.

Your pic looks very similar though I think my colour was slightly distorted by the coloured lenses on my binocs which made it look to have a little more green/turquoise..wonder if it could have been a cargo plane I saw.

Yep Robbo..hopefully one powerful enough to see the pilots faces...one day..just waiting on the big lotto win!..could be tonight!

Guess what I almost did Glenn..actually you probably won't need to guess!:)

Robbo and Glenn..in the words of the infamous Greenbottle (from the olde radio series "Yes What").."How could you say sooch a thing!" : LOL

What.... me reply to the e mail link? :)

Almost guilty..just stopped myself before finger hit the button! :biggrin:

Guest Chainsaw

yea, Tim has been awarded the 'TAA Almost spotter award' errrr lol

Timo, time to get Planeplotter :) Dig into that pocket of yours, it is worth it.

Yes and I know who Greenbottle was too *grin* They were really funny!

Guest Chainsaw

"The time has come," the Walrus said,

"To talk of many things:

Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--

Of cabbages--and planeplotter things--

And why the sea is boiling hot--

And whether pigs have wings."

Lewis Carroll and Chainy

• 1 month later...

Hi all..finally solved the puzzle about that plane..beautiful blue sky up here today and saw one plane really high with a single contrail (Possibly a Lear Jet or similar?)..anyway when watching through my old tinted binocs this white jet suddenly turned a beautiful blue turqoise colour when the sun hit it at an angle..got pout the new bincos without the tints and it was a normal white colour..so it was the binocs all the time changing the colours on the planes! :) Who needs a new plane paint job costing heaps of $ when a pair of binocs will do it for free!

By the way Chainy...just about to install planeplotter here!

Guest Chainsaw

Finally!!!

Tim, PM your phone number to me and I will call you tomorrow night and get you setup with PP, maps, settings etc.