Canberra by Fog

Todd M

Well, today was an interesting day out at the old Aerodrome.

Came into work this morning to find 1, count it, 1 aircraft for Qantas on the ground, and 1 aircraft for Virgin. It was a horror fog that rolled in at around 5-6pm and by the time I was to bed it was very thick and hard to see at about 8pm. All overnight aircraft but 1 Dash 8 and I believe 1 Embraer did not arrive, leading to a horror day for both Virgin Blue and Qantas. With no early morning flights for both airlines, connections had to be played with (Some Virgin flights were looking at Midday before uplift), and with more fog rolling in before the first arrivals, they had to be changed and changed again. Each Melbourne and Sydney had a 767 (Melbourne flight QF811 is normally a 767 on Mon Tue Wed, however not always and was filled up), creating more capacity. Looked great having 767's on the ground (Unfortunently only allowed one at a time).

BOM Calls for Morning Fog clearing to a partly cloudy day tomorrow, so lets see what action that brings!

Have been dealing with the fallout from the bad southern weather for about the last 3 days...and I am at VB in Mackay!!!!

Glad I had the day off today...sounds like it would have been another fun day full of delays.

Guest Michael Coates

Same for Brisbane, delays everywhere... Cant they standoff at Canberra and just use stairs ??

We do, and until we got a third aerobridge every afternoon there were atleast two on standoff. Now normally only one and a Dash 8, but there are only so many bay's on our small apron! If we had a 767 on Bay 10, that would take out Bay's 10A, 10B, and 11. That is out of 7 Standoff Bays, two of which are used as a last resort.

Guest Darren Masters

Now if this happened to us here in AKL we would get the blame for not being able to fly too :mad: Happened the other day into Queenstown. Could not land as the airport was SHUT. One of the pax says "Now Air New Zealand would get in here no trouble". I don't know what part of 'THE AIRPORT IS CLOSED' he did not understand. Ok, it's late. I feel better now