My TIF

Hoping for 5th time lucky we head out for YSCB. Arrived and met my flight instructor Michael who made my day by giving the flight the go ahead. We went into briefing and went through the basics. Trim, Yaw, Pitch.. attitude etc. Went through the hangar out onto the apron to our C150 (VH-WWS). Michael checked the fuel and oil and after a few photos we were off.

Contacted ground for clearance but all we got was standby. Waited for 10-15 minutes as they couldn't find our airways clearance apparently. He showed me how to taxi for about 20 metres then i went on taxiing to RWY 35.

Michael obviously took off, trimed her and we were off to 4,000 flying right over Mt. Majura. I turned into the training our and we spent a good 20-30 minutes going through some turns. Adjusting throttle - primary and secondary effects, deploying flap and adjusting trim. When he told me to turn with the rudder i was very hesitant as i never knew this would actually happened. He told me to push in all the way, after realising he is the instructor i did so and was amazed at the effect.

Training was up and i headed for balck mountain tower maintaining 4000. After passing black mountain we headed for fyshwik, slowed down to 2,100rpm (i think) decended and deployed flaps to 10. We were cleared to land runway 35, extended to second stage of flaps and turned on final, decending slowly wondering when he was going to take control i kept headed for the runway. I really thought i was going to land the amount of time i was in control/decending. He took over and made a great landing passing a 737 at November. Turned left down the GA taxiway and back to the GA apron.

Holy **** flying is amazing, i can't wait to get out there again!

Guest aviatrix27

You've caught the bug now Paul - you may have thought you had it before but now you're doomed. You HAVE to fly now, don't you?

Well done mate, we look forward now to hearing your lesson reports.

Guest OzChris
Holy **** flying is amazing, i can't wait to get out there again!

Welcome to the wonderful world of piloting an aircraft...well done mate!

Guest PeterW

Congratulations Paul and you can look forward to when you have that first solo, I will never forget it. We have a guy your age at Tooradin who has been training and it must have been a very long wait for him as he was ready to solo before his 15th birthday and had to wait until just recently to finally do it.

Guest aviatrix27
he was ready to solo before his 15th birthday and had to wait until just recently to finally do it.

It's an even longer wait for GA pilots, they can't solo until they're 16!

Guest David C

Paul .... All the best mate , I hope your training is as enjoyable as your TIF , I'm sure it will be though ... When you've the bug , you have it for life ... Keep us all informed as to your progress ..

Dave C

Guest airsick

Nice one Paul. I find Canberra can be a bit of a bugger with respect to getting held up (I have sat there for up to 30 minutes before) but it is a great place to fly. Keep it up!

G'Day Paul,

Well, you've got the bug now... assume you will be poor (financially) but rich (in experiences) at the same time for the rest of your life. You will see the world from a point of view that few people get to experience, and most of them won't understand, even though you try to explain it to them. Some will regard you as akin to a god, while others will think you are nuts when you tell them how much it costs. You have to watch the first ones because they can lead you to believing what they believe, until you are brought back to earth- hopefully not too suddenly- the first time you make a mistake. The second lot can be safely ignored- they'll never understand that it isn't about the money...

Good luck, and safe flying,

Regards

Coop

• 2 years later...

I did my TIF in WWS 27 September 2009. Last I heard the a/c was sold to a private owner for maybe $20-$30K. The owner didn't promptly get an airworthiness certificate so the a/c stayed at YSCB unflown. According to an instructor at the airfield in 2011, Canberra Aero Club "was in a position to" either become the registered operator or possibly put the aircraft online as a cross-hired trainer, thus easing the ownership transfer. I am not sure if the individual was approached or not but I am aware of the source of the difficulty in getting the ownership transferred. That was a few months ago. Assuming nothing has changed and the aircraft was not properly preserved, in my opinion it is now junk. This is sad because even though it was gutless, slow and constantly letting me down, it fit like an old boot. Viewers might conclude that it flew like one too and you'd be not far off the mark. Its the nature of the type, not the example.