Applying for ASIC, ARN

PlaneInsane

If you are a Licensed Pilot (of any level), you already have an ARN. It's your license number- the number you record on the maintenance release when you do your daily inspection.

(If you are not a pilot, then I don't know how you get an ARN, although I guess LAME's have them too.)

You can apply for an ASIC here:

http://www.aviationidaustralia.net.au/

Regards

Coop

As an RAAus member, I applied for my ASIC through RAAus - it took 1 month to arrive at my door...pretty good service!

The ASIC has a 12 month validity and will need to be re-newed annually...gets fairly expencive.

Ozchris i have had my asic for almost 2years not and i havent had to change it but once i turn 18 i need to get a new one but yeah i think it took mine like 8 weeks to process but yeah paul your fing school should have all the forms and stuff for you to fill out my flying school helped with mine

ll the info for ARNs can be found here: http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:1001:pc=PC_91494

As far as an ASIC goes you only need one if you require access to the airside of security controlled airports. If you are a student in a regional location with no requirement for one I would suggest holding off and saving your money for the time being. Your instructor will probably have one and that will cover you when you do nav's (notwithstanding solo nav's of course). Once you have your licence/certificate then go out and spend yhe money so you can fly to these places if you want.

Chris, my ASIC is valid for two years at a time. If the RAA ones are only valid for one year I would suggest looking elsewhere. Mine was issued through CASA. (That said, it is still expensive and, in my opinion, an ineffective security measure.)

My first one took around 12 weeks to get processed but that was back when they first became mandatory so I assume it got caught up in the rush. My last two have been issued in only a couple of weeks. Details of ASICs can be found at: http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:1001:pc=PC_90103

The RAA probably has a similar site but I am not sure where you might find it.

Cheers,

AS.

My first ASIC and my last renewal took a minimum of 8 weeks to process...We had a new guy start work with us at MKY airport a few weeks ago...his card came in less than 1 week...and I put my 2nd ASIC renewal in last thursday and it was ready today (and reading this thread just reminded me that I forgot to go pick it up today!!!! Damn!!!!)

It seems that finally after much pain and suffering for many people requiring cards for their employment they have finally got their act together on ASIC issuing and renewal...