Worthwhile to start with RA flying?

Zordah

Probably a silly question and not intending to start a flame war...

(posting here to get the GA opinions)

I want to learn to fly as quickly and cheaply as possible and be able to take passengers on short joy flights.

One of my long term goals however is to be able to fly myself to Cairns from Brisbane.

Is it worthwhile to start with RA-Aus and then later on go for a GA licence or just go straight for a GA licence instead?

The RA-Aus websites all claim that the hours count towards the GA but is this correct in practice?

It's just so confusing to know where to start and not waste my time/money 'going down the wrong track'.

Hi Zordah,

I am personally doing it this way and it has worked out a lot cheaper for me, doing nav's in a Jabiru 230 at 165$ per hour turns out a lot cheaper.

After you get all your nav, pax carry etc with RAAus (only 1 pax as all the planes are limited to two seats) you will have about 40 hours up, then you have to get a CASA SPL, ASIC card etc, then sit PPL exam and do about 10 hours in a cessna to get certified in CASA system and get experience in controlled airspace and I think a few hours "under the hood" going IFR then your done.

I have got the CASA licence now and done the PPL exam, just have to do the flying part.

Dont worry about what the GA people say, RA Aus and their planes are great, many with composites and glass and faster than cessna ... and cheaper too!

Thats my opinion anyway. Others may agree or disagree?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bidgee

Absolutely - I did mine that way. Saves a bomb and gives you experience in different AC types.

Here's what it took me to convert. All PPL in a 172N ($220/Hr dual);

6.0 CTS for familiarisation with the AC

6.0 Navs. I had about 6 hrs nav in RA but hadnt done the nav check ride.

2.0 Instrument time

1.2 GFPT flight test (optional)

1.9 PPL flight test

All of my RA hours were recognised but I had to do PPL BAK and PPL theory exam because I had only done RAA theory.

Other costs inc

Medical $200 (inc CASA fee plus doc)

ASIC $200 +

PPL theory exam $150 approx (depends if you do it with ASL or a flight school)

Other misc such as CASA admin/application fees $150

All RAA was in a Tecnam Sierra ($160/Hr dual)

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies but I have decided to go the GA route since I live not far from Archerfield airport so a GA school is very convenient to me.

I did check out a RA school in Caboolture but it wasn't THAT much cheaper per hour and I had to travel most of an hour to get there.

I have my first lesson booked for Saturday morning