Australian Aviation

I have decided to start this Thread to discuss the latest happenings re Aviation in Australia. Some topics that people might like to speak about include the Rise and fall of Tigers airways and were they are now, the planned announcement of Qantas's International restructuring and anythign else anyone wants to speak about. I want to keep this purely Australian related.

Guest Michael Coates

Well.... i received about 3 emails from Qantas in the days leading up to their big announcement so i know something was going on. All that back slapping and we are the safest in the world was just a warmup to their later press release about laying off 1,000 people. I must say that since i changed to VAustralia for all my international travel i have been VERY satisfied !

They are keen to do a great job and it shows !

• 3 weeks later...
I really don't agree with what Qantas are doing to their international sector. I don't see what's wrong with it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

The problem is that Qantas held a monopoly on routes such as Aust-LAX and Aust-Heathrow. Then all of the other Internatonal Carriers eg Etihad and Emirates and many more have come in offering better fares and better service.

Guest David C

From my own personal view it's all about choice . I fly to Europe at least once a year , in fact I fly to London in 4 weeks time . The choices I have is do I fly QF or BA and as is the case very soon I will probably have a connection at either BKK or SIN to a codeshare flight with a 5 or 6 hr delay to only LHR or FRA or do I fly Etihad or Emirates with a 2 to 3 hr connection in either Abu Dhabi or Dubai to a choice of perhaps 25 !! European destinations .. Not really a hard decision is it .. Quite clearly QF cannot compete on the European routes , when there is such a choice of destinations available from EY or EK , and usually cheaper too .

Dave C

The problem is that Qantas held a monopoly on routes such as Aust-LAX and Aust-Heathrow. Then all of the other Internatonal Carriers eg Etihad and Emirates and many more have come in offering better fares and better service.

That is the other side of the coin that is true, but Qantas is so well known as it is it's 'Kangaroo route', I still don't see why they'd drop out just yet.:confused:

That is the other side of the coin that is true, but Qantas is so well known as it is it's 'Kangaroo route', I still don't see why they'd drop out just yet.:confused:

Because they are not making the profits they once were... They are no longer competitive.