Melbourne Airfields

metalman

Hi Mat,

Check out this link. It will take you to the Bunyip strip, a few km's north of the freeway, and you can navigate (Google maps) to Berwick, and Pakenham, marked with red X's. This is a very handy site - save to Favourites.

http://www.ourairports.com/airports/YBUP/#lat=-38.0367348772677,lon=145.33101081848144,zoom=14,type=Satellite,airport=YBUP

Peter.

Guest DavidH10
Hi Mat,Check out this link. It will take you to the Bunyip strip, a few km's north of the freeway, and you can navigate (Google maps) to Berwick, and Pakenham, marked with red X's. This is a very handy site - save to Favourites.

http://www.ourairports.com/airports/YBUP/#lat=-38.0367348772677,lon=145.33101081848144,zoom=14,type=Satellite,airport=YBUP

Peter.

Just check the info you obtain... There's a lot of entries that have the Area frequency listed as the CTAF. I registered on the site and fixed a few. Looks like there are a lot of entries that have been done via some sort of bulk load without checking the voracity of the source information. Still, if some more people register and fix erroneous info, then the quality will steadily improve. Any info I have corrected, I verified before changing.

Still, it is largely "unmanaged" info, so while it is very handy, you need to verify it independently before using it. You could find yourself landing on an ALA that looks like a shopping centre or a freeway!

Mind you, there's two ALAs down that way that are on the Melbourne VTC, but one is a freeway and the other, just farm land with no sign of a landing area. So much for official managed data!

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I'll have to have a look for the Bunyip field next time I'm out that way, was over Berwick on Saturday and was having a look around for the airport, now closed. Same as Pakenham, you can see where it was but the houses built through the middle of the runway kinda ruin it for aircraft!!

just looking at the airport finder, used to be an airfield at Plenty, makes me wonder just how many airfields have disappeared over the years