360 Degree Cockpit Virtual Tour

willedoo

Something a bit different:

A rather dilapidated Il-76 Candid cockpit in the Emirates near Sharjah. Has quite a reasonable zoom-in resolution with the mouse scroll wheel; you can even read some of the lettering on the instrument & switch panels:

http://360emirates.com/virtual_tours/67/Ilyushin-IL76-Cockpit#

It has another one as well, an outside under-wing & side view. Zooming in on the tyres is highly reccommended.The site is a bit tricky & won't link to the outside view. The easiest way is to type 'IL 76 'into their search bar & it brings up both options.

Cheers, Willie.

They're flat (so?). But what's the hose emerging from the hub centre - air or what?

The reference was to the amount of tyre wear, down to the canvas & treads separating. It was apparently common practice among a lot of the smaller independant operators to run them till they blew. Not much time or money was spent on maintenance. The Il-76 could adjust tyre pressure in-flight from about 2.5 to 5 bars to suit the airstrip, paved or unpaved; the original design brief stipulated unprepared dirt or snow strip capability. I'd say being a hub feed system, the hose would be a plug-in fitting to adjust the pressure while on the ground at a guess. It doesn't look like it would be there in flight.

Cheers, Willie.

The reference was to the amount of tyre wear, down to the canvas & treads separating. It was apparently common practice among a lot of the smaller independant operators to run them till they blew. Not much time or money was spent on maintenance. The Il-76 could adjust tyre pressure in-flight from about 2.5 to 5 bars to suit the airstrip, paved or unpaved; the original design brief stipulated unprepared dirt or snow strip capability. I'd say being a hub feed system, the hose would be a plug-in fitting to adjust the pressure while on the ground at a guess. It doesn't look like it would be there in flight.Cheers, Willie.

Yeah, whatever the case is/was for the Il-76, the in-hub hose thingo recalls to me the ability of the "DUKW" ("army duck") to ajust its tyre pressures on the go ... while it was actually travelling, do you mind!

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Mil/DUKW/DUKW.html

Yeah, whatever the case is/was for the Il-76, the in-hub hose thingo recalls to me the ability of the "DUKW" ("army duck") to ajust its tyre pressures on the go ... while it was actually travelling, do you mind!

Have never seen a diagram of how they actually work & often wondered, I guess they'd have to be tubless.The Bushmasters the Army has now have a similar system, I think. I don't know much about them, but seem to remember reading that they can travel quite a way with a flat tyre with their inflation system.

Cheers, Willie.

Have never seen a diagram of how they actually work & often wondered, I guess they'd have to be tubless.The Bushmasters the Army has now have a similar system, I think. I don't know much about them, but seem to remember reading that they can travel quite a way with a flat tyre with their inflation system.Cheers, Willie.

Not necessarily tubeless back in WW2 - just a (mechanical) method by which the tube/valve were connected to a source of high pressure air (ie compressor...).