Ww1 Raf And German Biplanes

willedoo

A few more scans of some old photos for anyone interested.

Centered around the 5th. Lighthorse Regiment, Palestine & Sinai between 1916-1918 approx.

Unidentified type of RAF aircraft. Possibly a Short of some type.

[ATTACH=full]976[/ATTACH]

Another RAF one on it's nose - quite a large roundel on the wing. Unidentified type.

[ATTACH=full]977[/ATTACH]

Don't know what this is. Captioned: 'After bombing Turkish HQ, Palestine.' British or German? [ATTACH=full]978[/ATTACH]

One of theirs, looks fairly small. Type unidentified.

[ATTACH=full]979[/ATTACH]

This one's a mystery. No markings, the buildings & fence in the background look more like Australia than the Middle East. It was with the same batch of photos; possibly a training base here. Undentified type.

[ATTACH=full]980[/ATTACH]

Observation Balloon (sort of an aircraft, maybe) Captioned: 'Releasing an observation balloon, Palestine'.

[ATTACH=full]981[/ATTACH]

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18106[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18107[/ATTACH]

RAF2.thumb.jpg.53ddbc19a4bfff2a77e911522aabdc33.jpg

Balloon.thumb.jpg.622ca9f7ebdf8997f079c16c6288af12.jpg

The first photo is a BE2... one of the later models I believe.

Thanks, Winsor, that would have to be it. Now that I've got a name, I can see on the BE2 Wiki page that it's the one. It would have to be one of the most graceful looking WW1 planes.

cheers, Willie.

Might the unidentified mystery a/c be a Rumpler C.IV perchance? Comments welcome :confused:http://www.histomin.com/Aviation/World War 1 Aviation/WW1 Aircraft/WW1 Rumpler C.IV C.7963_17/gpww1 Rumpler C.IV C.7963_17.htm

I think you're right there, Geoff. Your link to the model images show a lot more detail than some of the real photos online. A few give-aways seem to be the radiator, tailplane, exhaust manifold & the rounded gunners station. Also the metal tubular framework above the pilot, supporting the wing. A German plane, it's definately not in Australia then. Looking at this image, http://imxcited.com/images_the_hun/photo_rumpler_civ.jpg I can see why the fabric is missing; someone has souivenered the Maltese Crosses from both sides. Looking at it closer, perhaps the photo of the burnt out German plane is a Rumpler as well. The exhaust manifold seems to be a clue.

Cheers, Willie.

The only thing I have about suggesting Rumpler is the shape of the radiator ... it seems to be more elongate than the Rumplers. It's going to stay as my best bet for the time being, though. I'm intrigued by your interpretation of "graceful" in relation to the BE2, by the way. We have a Citroen 2CV, and the best I can say of it is that it has "character"; but we love it, just as a mother would:D

The burnt out job standing on its wheels could be an AEG.CIV - and does the hulk with the crowd around it have a 4 bladed prop with a V engine, rather than an in-line? And looking at the exhaust stacks & fuel tank(?) location, I reckon it's either another of those "graceful" BE2's or else an RE8 :p

The only thing I have about suggesting Rumpler is the shape of the radiator ... it seems to be more elongate than the Rumplers. It's going to stay as my best bet for the time being, though. I'm intrigued by your interpretation of "graceful" in relation to the BE2, by the way. We have a Citroen 2CV, and the best I can say of it is that it has "character"; but we love it, just as a mother would:DThe burnt out job standing on its wheels could be an AEG.CIV - and does the hulk with the crowd around it have a 4 bladed prop with a V engine, rather than an in-line? And looking at the exhaust stacks & fuel tank(?) location, I reckon it's either another of those "graceful" BE2's or else an RE8 :p

Yes, Geoff, regards the hulk with the crowd, I'm fairly sure it's a graceful BE2, although that one looks a bit disgraced. The prop is 4 bladed & the right angled framework on top of each outer upper wing appears in some photos of BE2's that I checked out. It looks like I'm getting closer to being able to put a name to the pics, which will be good. All the help I can get is appreciated.

Cheers, Willie.