An12 In Sydney

willedoo

Just wondering if anyone saw, or knows anything about Ukranian registered An12, UR-CAH in Sydney in early December. Belongs to Meridian Air Cargo, of Slovakia & arrived at RAAF Richmond from Christmas Island 1/12/11, Sydney on 2/12/11 & departed for Denpasar, Bali on 3/12/11.

http://www.airlinerphotos.com/main.php/2011/bsl/UR-CAH.jpg.html

Cheers, Willie.

I saw one of those operate out of Bisbane years ago, took the whole length of airstrip to get off and headed out over the bay leaving a black sooty trail like it had a cargo of burning tyres. You could still see the sooty trail wafting out to the North East fifteen minutes after it departed.:D

Would have been a good time to have the camera out. Seems to be a common trait with Russian turbines,whether prop, jet or low by-pass fan, as well as the heavy fuel consumption. The An 12 would have to be the worst of them for soot, I'd guess.

Cheers, Willie.

Did some checking & they are fundamentally different, the Dart a two stage centrifugal compressor & the An2's Ivchenko AI-20 is a ten stage axial flow compressor. The Wiki page (if it's correct) on the AI-20 lists the Rolls Royce Tyne, also axial flow, as a comparable engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Tyne

It looks like the Avro Lincoln flew with one in it's nose as a test bed with all four Merlins shut down. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rolls-Royce_Tyne_Avro_Lincoln_Farnborough_1956.jpg

Cheers, Willie.

Cor! My comment was only a cheap throw-away line Willie ... I'm in awe of your research on the engines.

The Lincolns, BTW, were I think a popular item for testing new engines as I seem to recall the Napier Nomad being stuck in the same (nose) position of one for flight testing.

Cheers, Geoff.

Cor! My comment was only a cheap throw-away line Willie ... I'm in awe of your research on the engines.The Lincolns, BTW, were I think a popular item for testing new engines as I seem to recall the Napier Nomad being stuck in the same (nose) position of one for flight testing.

Cheers, Geoff.

It's just a compulsive obsession with turbines, Geoff, ... harmless I'm told. I'd rate them as one of man's greatest inventions, alongside electricity & the potato peeler.

That photo of the Lincoln is at the Farnborough airshow, so I'd guess the Merlins are shut down as part of the demonstration. It would be interesting to know their test procedures, I'd always thought they would be running the test engine along with the main engines just to monitor gauges & performance. Maybe flying on the test engine alone is part of the process to check it under load. I've seen photos around the place of four engine a/c having one of the four replaced with a test engine, but this fifth engine nose job is interesting.

Cheers, Willie.

In that case, all the more reason to chase up Not much of an Engineer by Stanley Hooker.

Thanks, Geoff, I've just placed an order for it. Looking forward to a good read, the reviews look interesting.

Cheers, Willie.